Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kara

Default Mail Merge Printing Sections

I'm currently using Word 2003 and am curious if there was an update that
changed they way I used to be able to print documents...

Previously after a mail merge I could tell it to print page 1, and it would
print the first page of every section. This was helpful because I could then
print to a PDF and have the main information from the first page grouped
together. Now printing page 1 only prints the first page. I've used a macro
posted in previous posts, but this makes the process incredibly slower as it
send each 1st page to the printer seperately, so instead of having one 50
page document, there are 50 one page documents to be spooled individually. I
would also not be able to print to a PDF without having 50 individual files
that I'd have to name and save separately.

Also, before I could print and each section would be duplexed and collated
without having to run a macro. It would staple and duplex the three pages and
I'd have 50 packets. Now since it's an odd paged document the duplexing is
off and it tries to staple the every section together.

Did something change recently that removed the way things print, or have I
formatted things wrong?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Something may have changed about the printing of the Page 1 is concerned.
The following macro will however print all of the page 1's in the one print
job so that if you are printing to .pdf, just one file will be created:

Dim i As Long, pstring As String
pstring = "p1s1"
For i = 2 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
pstring = pstring & ",p1s" & i
Next i
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:=pstring

I think however that you are mistaken by thinking that before you "could
print and each section would be duplexed and collated
without having to run a macro." A macro has always been required for that.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kara" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kara

Thank you for your reply. The macro worked perfectly to create one PDF
document.

I don't know why I thought it would work before. Maybe I just got lucky and
always had the right number of pages.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Something may have changed about the printing of the Page 1 is concerned.
The following macro will however print all of the page 1's in the one print
job so that if you are printing to .pdf, just one file will be created:

Dim i As Long, pstring As String
pstring = "p1s1"
For i = 2 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
pstring = pstring & ",p1s" & i
Next i
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:=pstring

I think however that you are mistaken by thinking that before you "could
print and each section would be duplexed and collated
without having to run a macro." A macro has always been required for that.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP