Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
M Skabialka M Skabialka is offline

Default Paper width grew to 10" - How to fix?

I am creating a new document based on another one that need cleaning up.
However when I look at the original, and match the screen size to a ruler,
the page is exactly 8 1/2" x 11", but my new document is 10" x 11", with an
extra wide margin on the right so that the same text fits in the same space.
I have searched "Help" and other web sites in vain for answers on how to
reduce the paper width back to 8 1/2". The screen ruler seems to have all
the same markings, but the paper extends to the right more than it should.
This is a set of mirrored pages, and all of the page setup settings are
exactly the same as the original document.

Where else is the paper size defined? What have I missed?

Mich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is probably just a view artifact. If the document contains "markup"
(tracked changes or comments), Word creates an extra-wide margin (on the
right by default) to allow for the "balloons." If you look at Print Preview,
you'll see that the document will print on an 8.5" x 11" page, but reduced
to fit into the upper left corner, with the balloons in the margin.

Fixes include switching to Final view (and printing from there), removing
markup, disabling balloons, etc.