Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bc.pvcomm bc.pvcomm is offline

Default Image in document header causing poor performance

I have several document templates that were setup with corporate logos in the
Header. There are two different sets of these documents. One is for
printing and keeping, the other is for faxing. The only difference is the
fax templates have a solid black log and type, whereas the laser templates
have a gray scale logo and type. The templates range in size from about 80
KB to 270 KB which includes sample text as well.

The problem is with the fax templates, I have one computer that is running
Windows Vista with Office 2007 installed (including all Service Packs and
updates release up until today). This is a brand new laptop, running a 2 GHz
Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM. When I open the fax templates either from the
local computer or a network drive, it takes a little longer to open than the
laser templates do. Then once I start typing something in the body of the
document, the image within the header starts flashing with each keystroke,
and the typing gets extremely delayed. It gets to the point where I'm typing
about 30 characters ahead of what is displaying on screen.

I've currently enable the setting for Word to put a placeholder in place of
any images, and that is solving the issue for now, but ideally I'd like to
fix it so that the user can actually view images within Word.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A frequent cause of such issues is an inadequate or poorly configured
display driver. Word makes the display driver work surprisingly hard. See if
there's an update.