Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Default Word won't even open!

Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved Word doc
that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It wouldn't open and
now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my computer. Any
suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I usually get an error message
when my computer is trying to shut down that the program "CcApp" won't close.
Does that have something to do with it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Your problems - both of them - can be laid at the door of Norton AV - see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831431
When you have nailed the CcApp problem - if you are still using Norton AV
uncheck its office plug-in option.

Never open Word documents directly from e-mail messages. Save to the hard
drive first.

Now you need to sort out the mess - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
and if it still won't start - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down that the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do with it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Where is the "Office plug-in" that you are talking about?

Thanks for that article, too!

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down that the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do with it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. Open Norton AntiVirus (right-click on the Systray icon and choose this
option).

2. Click on the Options button at the top of the dialog.

3. In the Options dialog, click on Miscellaneous (menu on the left)

4. Clear the check box for "Enable Office Plug-in."

5. OK out and close NAV.

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down that the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do with it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Your System Tray is in the lower right corner of your screen (you probably
see your clock and one or two other icons). If you see a , click on it.
Now place your cursor on each of the icons and wait until you get a little
pop-up that tells you what the icon is. When you find Norton Anti-virus,
click (or double click) on that icon. Then start with Suzanne's directions
from Step 2.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

1. Open Norton AntiVirus (right-click on the Systray icon and choose this
option).

2. Click on the Options button at the top of the dialog.

3. In the Options dialog, click on Miscellaneous (menu on the left)

4. Clear the check box for "Enable Office Plug-in."

5. OK out and close NAV.

so
all may benefit.

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved
Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It
wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I
usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down that
the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do with
it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Thank you both so much! Hopefully this will work. Other wise, I don't know
what to do! Any ideas?

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved
Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It
wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I
usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down that
the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do with
it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

One step at a time, dear, one step at a time.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

1. Open Norton AntiVirus (right-click on the Systray icon and choose
this
option).

2. Click on the Options button at the top of the dialog.

3. In the Options dialog, click on Miscellaneous (menu on the left)

4. Clear the check box for "Enable Office Plug-in."

5. OK out and close NAV.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved
Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It
wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I
usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down
that
the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do with
it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Ok, so Word kind of works now. I had to find the installation disk and
reinstall it. It still won't close w/o saying there's an error and it takes
a long time to open. What could be wrong with it?

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a saved
Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It
wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I
usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down
that
the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do with
it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Yes, that's a very helpful article, but unfortunetly I have already been
recomended that site and have worked through all the steps that apply to the
problem without success. Thanks for tryin'. Any other ideas or articles?

CommMajor wrote:
Hello helpful people! About 3 hours ago I tried to open a

saved
Word
doc that I had e-mailed to myself from another computer. It
wouldn't
open and now Word won't open at all! It completely freezes

my
computer. Any suggestions? I did recently update. Also, I
usually
get an error message when my computer is trying to shut down
that
the
program "CcApp" won't close. Does that have something to do

with
it?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Sincerenly,
Diana Richardson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I would suggest trying the steps that don't apply, then.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hpinky

Thanks to Suzanne and Joann from hpinky. I had this problem and was able to
resolve it with the postings you made, along with the referencing of the
support web pages. I can go to sleep now with a piece of mind. Once again,
thanks a million and have a wonderful holiday season.

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Ok, in that article it says to rename "normal.dot" with Word closed. How am
I supposed to do that?

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm for
instructions on finding Normal.dot.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

1. Open Norton AntiVirus (right-click on the Systray icon

and
choose
this
option).

2. Click on the Options button at the top of the dialog.

3. In the Options dialog, click on Miscellaneous (menu on

the
left)

4. Clear the check box for "Enable Office Plug-in."

5. OK out and close NAV.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"CommMajor" wrote in
message

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Find normal.dot using Windows Explorer (the F3 key). Rename it.
You may have to change your Windows Folder View options to let you see
hidden and system files.
--

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

I still can't find the "normal.dot" template, document, whatever it is. I
changed the folder view thingy and everything. So, I don't know what to do!

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Did you go to the page that Suzanne gave you which has much more extensive
methods?
Normal.dot is there if you have used Word.
--

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Yes, I have done everything that article suggests, but I can't find the
"normal.dot" file. I even unistalled and reinstalled Word and it's still
messed up! It's so annoying and I can't really do anything productive
without Word freezing! Help!

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Uninstalling and Re-installing does not affect normal.dot (and a host of
other personalisations). Normal.dot is a hidden file in the folder set at
tools options file locations user templates. In order to find it you
will have to set Windows Explorer to display hidden files - in that
application Tools folder options view - check 'show hidden files and
folders' and uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types'.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Find normal.dot using Windows Explorer (the F3 key). Rename it.
You may have to change your Windows Folder View options to let you
see hidden and system files.
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is
awesome! --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
---------

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CommMajor

Thanks Graham for that idea, but I've already done that one. Anything else
maybe?

CommMajor wrote:
[...]

How do I create a Word form like corel WP merge documents? dlee_at_mmsgov Microsoft Word Help 2 October 8th 05 06:29 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 12:04 AM