A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Table of Contents - 1 Table of Contents line is different to other



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 29th 08, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
treaders
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Table of Contents - 1 Table of Contents line is different to other

Hello,

For some reason 1 entry in my Table of Contents looks different to all the
other entries that have the same TOC 2 style applied to them.

The part of the Table of Contents I am having trouble with looks like this:

POLICIES BEHIND THE PLAN.............. 8
PURPOSE OF THE PLAN........................ 8
OBJECTIVES OF THE PLAN.................. 8
COMPLIANCE AND DEVIATIONS....... 8
ADMINISTRATION................................ 8
TENDER 8

The last line, "Tender 8" is the problem line. I cannot make it add the
"....." across to the page number; I also cannot make the page number align
with the right side of the page (as the lines above do). This whole section
has TOC 2 Style applied to it.

I have checked the Heading the TOC line is referring to; I have checked the
Style; I have deleted and recreated the Table of Contents but still no luck.

I am using Word 2003 SP3. Windows XP SP3.

What would cause 1 line to behave differently to the Table of Contents lines
above it?

Thanks,
treaders
Ads
  #2  
Old July 29th 08, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33,626
Default Table of Contents - 1 Table of Contents line is different to other

Does the style have a very large hanging indent? If so, the automatic tab
stop at the hanging indent may be catching the page number because the TOC
entry is very short.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"treaders" wrote in message
...
Hello,

For some reason 1 entry in my Table of Contents looks different to all the
other entries that have the same TOC 2 style applied to them.

The part of the Table of Contents I am having trouble with looks like
this:

POLICIES BEHIND THE PLAN.............. 8
PURPOSE OF THE PLAN........................ 8
OBJECTIVES OF THE PLAN.................. 8
COMPLIANCE AND DEVIATIONS....... 8
ADMINISTRATION................................ 8
TENDER 8

The last line, "Tender 8" is the problem line. I cannot make it add the
"....." across to the page number; I also cannot make the page number
align
with the right side of the page (as the lines above do). This whole
section
has TOC 2 Style applied to it.

I have checked the Heading the TOC line is referring to; I have checked
the
Style; I have deleted and recreated the Table of Contents but still no
luck.

I am using Word 2003 SP3. Windows XP SP3.

What would cause 1 line to behave differently to the Table of Contents
lines
above it?

Thanks,
treaders



  #3  
Old July 29th 08, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
treaders
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Table of Contents - 1 Table of Contents line is different to o

I extended the length of the TOC entry and this fixed the problem. So, you're
definitely on the right track, thank you.

However, I would prefer to use the shorter TOC entry, "Tender". How should I
fix the problem? Should I decrease the hanging indent size, adjust the tab
stop or something along these lines?

Thanks,
treaders

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the style have a very large hanging indent? If so, the automatic tab
stop at the hanging indent may be catching the page number because the TOC
entry is very short.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"treaders" wrote in message
...
Hello,

For some reason 1 entry in my Table of Contents looks different to all the
other entries that have the same TOC 2 style applied to them.

The part of the Table of Contents I am having trouble with looks like
this:

POLICIES BEHIND THE PLAN.............. 8
PURPOSE OF THE PLAN........................ 8
OBJECTIVES OF THE PLAN.................. 8
COMPLIANCE AND DEVIATIONS....... 8
ADMINISTRATION................................ 8
TENDER 8

The last line, "Tender 8" is the problem line. I cannot make it add the
"....." across to the page number; I also cannot make the page number
align
with the right side of the page (as the lines above do). This whole
section
has TOC 2 Style applied to it.

I have checked the Heading the TOC line is referring to; I have checked
the
Style; I have deleted and recreated the Table of Contents but still no
luck.

I am using Word 2003 SP3. Windows XP SP3.

What would cause 1 line to behave differently to the Table of Contents
lines
above it?

Thanks,
treaders




  #4  
Old July 29th 08, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
treaders
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Table of Contents - 1 Table of Contents line is different to o

Fixed. I removed the first tab stop and the issue is gone.
Suzanne, thanks again!

"treaders" wrote:

I extended the length of the TOC entry and this fixed the problem. So, you're
definitely on the right track, thank you.

However, I would prefer to use the shorter TOC entry, "Tender". How should I
fix the problem? Should I decrease the hanging indent size, adjust the tab
stop or something along these lines?

Thanks,
treaders

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the style have a very large hanging indent? If so, the automatic tab
stop at the hanging indent may be catching the page number because the TOC
entry is very short.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"treaders" wrote in message
...
Hello,

For some reason 1 entry in my Table of Contents looks different to all the
other entries that have the same TOC 2 style applied to them.

The part of the Table of Contents I am having trouble with looks like
this:

POLICIES BEHIND THE PLAN.............. 8
PURPOSE OF THE PLAN........................ 8
OBJECTIVES OF THE PLAN.................. 8
COMPLIANCE AND DEVIATIONS....... 8
ADMINISTRATION................................ 8
TENDER 8

The last line, "Tender 8" is the problem line. I cannot make it add the
"....." across to the page number; I also cannot make the page number
align
with the right side of the page (as the lines above do). This whole
section
has TOC 2 Style applied to it.

I have checked the Heading the TOC line is referring to; I have checked
the
Style; I have deleted and recreated the Table of Contents but still no
luck.

I am using Word 2003 SP3. Windows XP SP3.

What would cause 1 line to behave differently to the Table of Contents
lines
above it?

Thanks,
treaders




  #5  
Old July 29th 08, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33,626
Default Table of Contents - 1 Table of Contents line is different to o

Note that the tab stop may return; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"treaders" wrote in message
...
Fixed. I removed the first tab stop and the issue is gone.
Suzanne, thanks again!

"treaders" wrote:

I extended the length of the TOC entry and this fixed the problem. So,
you're
definitely on the right track, thank you.

However, I would prefer to use the shorter TOC entry, "Tender". How
should I
fix the problem? Should I decrease the hanging indent size, adjust the
tab
stop or something along these lines?

Thanks,
treaders

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does the style have a very large hanging indent? If so, the automatic
tab
stop at the hanging indent may be catching the page number because the
TOC
entry is very short.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"treaders" wrote in message
...
Hello,

For some reason 1 entry in my Table of Contents looks different to
all the
other entries that have the same TOC 2 style applied to them.

The part of the Table of Contents I am having trouble with looks like
this:

POLICIES BEHIND THE PLAN.............. 8
PURPOSE OF THE PLAN........................ 8
OBJECTIVES OF THE PLAN.................. 8
COMPLIANCE AND DEVIATIONS....... 8
ADMINISTRATION................................ 8
TENDER 8

The last line, "Tender 8" is the problem line. I cannot make it add
the
"....." across to the page number; I also cannot make the page number
align
with the right side of the page (as the lines above do). This whole
section
has TOC 2 Style applied to it.

I have checked the Heading the TOC line is referring to; I have
checked
the
Style; I have deleted and recreated the Table of Contents but still
no
luck.

I am using Word 2003 SP3. Windows XP SP3.

What would cause 1 line to behave differently to the Table of
Contents
lines
above it?

Thanks,
treaders






  #6  
Old July 30th 08, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 214
Default Table of Contents - 1 Table of Contents line is different to o

Jason Tabs?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Note that the tab stop may return; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I create this line in my table of contents? laredotornado New Users 2 July 18th 08 08:14 PM
... my table of contents has a duplicate line ... Dr. Darrell Microsoft Word Help 3 March 29th 06 08:20 AM
Table of Contents Entry goes onto 2nd line PierceM Microsoft Word Help 4 February 16th 06 12:17 AM
How do I line up my table of contents? Eg:Title.............pg # gradthesis Microsoft Word Help 4 February 8th 06 01:24 AM
Table of Contents grabs the next line LurfysMa New Users 2 July 26th 05 09:16 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.