How do I create magnetic poetry style boxes around Words?

Old January 9th 21, 09:30 PM
WhoSentYou WhoSentYou is offline

Default How do I create magnetic poetry style boxes around Words?

Hi there,

I'm working on a special book of the correspondence I've had over the years with my wife, as a gift for her.**

I had an idea to include a magnetic poem I once wrote for her - you know, with those little squares and rectangles with words that you can stick on the fridge?* The poem loses most of its charm if I just transcribe it into words, to the point that it's not worth including that way.**

I can't print images in that section of the book, but I'm wondering whether I might be able to recreate the blocks around the words to give them the "magnetic poem" effect.* Sort of like this (this isn't my poem; just an example):

https://imgur.com/5mNt2MI

But translated into boxes surrounding the words on Word.* Are there different ways/approaches in which I could achieve this?

I noticed there's a feature called "Insert - text box" and tried that, but it creates a huge box that I then have to manually shape, and it seems like if I'm writing a lot of words and each have to be surrounded by a box of more or less the same proportions/width around each word, this would be a nightmare.* Is there a way for a box to just appear around what I'm writing and adjust to the space of it, or even as I type?

It would also be great to be able to add shadows to the box for effect.

Any insight would be really appreciated; thanks so much!
Old January 9th 21, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

You can make one text box, sized it to fit an ordinary word, and
before you type anything into it, select it and copy it to the
clipboard (Ctrl-C). You can then paste it (Ctrl-V) into your text
and type a word in it. You can then reduce the width of the box
(by dragging one of the sides). Much easier.

Get the size right in step 1 by typing a word and adjusting the
box to its size, then delete the word you typed. (Or, you could
copy the box with the first word in it and overtype that word.)