A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CPU Usage When Working with Templates you created



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 20th 05, 11:45 PM
KM1
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default CPU Usage When Working with Templates you created

Ok, I have posted this question a couple of days ago with only one response
so I will try again. I have tried the Cindy's suggestions on two computers
and found no change, so anyone else know why the below happens????

I was wondering why, when working on a template that I created and adding
auto text to that template, the cpu usage hangs around 50%. If I use the
template as a document and type in it, the cpu usage stays much lower
sometimes down to 0 to maybe 10 % or so. As soon as I pull up the template
as a template and then begin to work in it, the cpu usage goes up and
fluctuates as high as 50%. I have tried this on two different computers with
the same result. The
second computer has 1/2 the ram and it will hang around 90% while pulling the
template up as a template and adding auto text. Is this normal behavior?
Seems Strange.

I tried today to create a completely new template from scratch. I pulled up
the nomal.dot document as a template. Changed the margins, added tabs, the
date and some returns so it matched my old template. I then saved it under a
different name. Then I pulled it up as a template and checked the CPU usage
while in the template and it read 0%. I then copied 10 autotext items to it
and individually added them to auto text giving them there own codes, then
saving the auto text only under its template name so as to not have all of
this auto text for all active templates. Same procedure as I used before. I
then saved it under its new name and pulled it up as a template again and
checked the CPU usage. Bam, CPU usage hung around 50 - 100%. Pulled the new
template up as a document and CPU usage normal. So, I thought maybe the fact
that I copied the same auto text I was using into the template may have
caused the problem so I started from scratch again and this time I would
create a new template and type my own test auto text which I would save to
that new template. Same thing happened, as soon as I had saved some auto
text in the new template and then pulled it back up as a template to work on
it, the CPU usage goes way up. Everything works fine, however, I do find
this strange. The one computer with 512 ram will hold at 90% and higher when
working with the template as a template, it is fine when working with it as a
document. My concern is that as I add more auto text to the template it will
eventually lock up. The new one I just made had only 5 items, my original
has 90 already. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am going to send a copy of my template to work where I have Word 2000 and
work off of a server and see if it does the same thing there. At home were
this happens I have Word 2003 and Office 2003 along with 1 gig of ram and 512
on my smaller computer. Running Windows XP w/SP2 at home all up to date but
running Windows XP w/SP1 at work.
--
KM1
Ads
  #2  
Old May 21st 05, 02:17 AM
Michael_Corral
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Please tell us what happens when you try doing this at work. If happens
again at work, it is a problem with Microsoft and they need to be told about
it, hopefully it will be fixed by MS Office 2007.
--
Top Notch Admin


"KM1" wrote:

Ok, I have posted this question a couple of days ago with only one response
so I will try again. I have tried the Cindy's suggestions on two computers
and found no change, so anyone else know why the below happens????

I was wondering why, when working on a template that I created and adding
auto text to that template, the cpu usage hangs around 50%. If I use the
template as a document and type in it, the cpu usage stays much lower
sometimes down to 0 to maybe 10 % or so. As soon as I pull up the template
as a template and then begin to work in it, the cpu usage goes up and
fluctuates as high as 50%. I have tried this on two different computers with
the same result. The
second computer has 1/2 the ram and it will hang around 90% while pulling the
template up as a template and adding auto text. Is this normal behavior?
Seems Strange.

I tried today to create a completely new template from scratch. I pulled up
the nomal.dot document as a template. Changed the margins, added tabs, the
date and some returns so it matched my old template. I then saved it under a
different name. Then I pulled it up as a template and checked the CPU usage
while in the template and it read 0%. I then copied 10 autotext items to it
and individually added them to auto text giving them there own codes, then
saving the auto text only under its template name so as to not have all of
this auto text for all active templates. Same procedure as I used before. I
then saved it under its new name and pulled it up as a template again and
checked the CPU usage. Bam, CPU usage hung around 50 - 100%. Pulled the new
template up as a document and CPU usage normal. So, I thought maybe the fact
that I copied the same auto text I was using into the template may have
caused the problem so I started from scratch again and this time I would
create a new template and type my own test auto text which I would save to
that new template. Same thing happened, as soon as I had saved some auto
text in the new template and then pulled it back up as a template to work on
it, the CPU usage goes way up. Everything works fine, however, I do find
this strange. The one computer with 512 ram will hold at 90% and higher when
working with the template as a template, it is fine when working with it as a
document. My concern is that as I add more auto text to the template it will
eventually lock up. The new one I just made had only 5 items, my original
has 90 already. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am going to send a copy of my template to work where I have Word 2000 and
work off of a server and see if it does the same thing there. At home were
this happens I have Word 2003 and Office 2003 along with 1 gig of ram and 512
on my smaller computer. Running Windows XP w/SP2 at home all up to date but
running Windows XP w/SP1 at work.
--
KM1

  #3  
Old May 21st 05, 05:59 PM
KM1
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for the response. I pulled up the Template I created at work and
tried working in it as before. No problems with CPU usage. I tried several
times using exactly the same procedures at home, even checked to make sure
all the autotext I created with the template came with the email attachment.
All was the same, however, CPU usage stayed at 0% - 3%. Very strange. Now
there are major differences between the operating systems and software at
home and here at work. I will list them:

1. Using Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 installed and updated at home / At
work I am using Windows XP Professiona Edition 2002 w/SP1 installed Clone
computer is not up to date. Don't know about server.

2. Using Microsoft Office 2003 at home all up to date / At work they use
Microsoft Office 2000

3. Using Microsoft Word 2003 at Home all up to date / At work we use
Microsoft Office 2000

4. Using two individual computers at home with 1 gig ram & 512 ram / at
work we run clones from a server w/ 496 ram.

5. Using Mcafee Viruscan, Firewall Plus, Privacy Service & Microsoft
Atispyware Beta1 for virus and spyware protection. All of them have some
active component running in the background. At work I think they run Mcafee
on the server but none of it is availabel on the clone computers. They also
run Spybot Search and Destroy which is available on each clone but hidden.
No active components running. Program is run separately when needed.

Anyone out there know why this is occuring on a new system with newer
version of office and word and not on an older system with previous versions
of office and word. Would be very interested in knowing????


--
KM1


"Michael_Corral" wrote:

Please tell us what happens when you try doing this at work. If happens
again at work, it is a problem with Microsoft and they need to be told about
it, hopefully it will be fixed by MS Office 2007.
--
Top Notch Admin


"KM1" wrote:

Ok, I have posted this question a couple of days ago with only one response
so I will try again. I have tried the Cindy's suggestions on two computers
and found no change, so anyone else know why the below happens????

I was wondering why, when working on a template that I created and adding
auto text to that template, the cpu usage hangs around 50%. If I use the
template as a document and type in it, the cpu usage stays much lower
sometimes down to 0 to maybe 10 % or so. As soon as I pull up the template
as a template and then begin to work in it, the cpu usage goes up and
fluctuates as high as 50%. I have tried this on two different computers with
the same result. The
second computer has 1/2 the ram and it will hang around 90% while pulling the
template up as a template and adding auto text. Is this normal behavior?
Seems Strange.

I tried today to create a completely new template from scratch. I pulled up
the nomal.dot document as a template. Changed the margins, added tabs, the
date and some returns so it matched my old template. I then saved it under a
different name. Then I pulled it up as a template and checked the CPU usage
while in the template and it read 0%. I then copied 10 autotext items to it
and individually added them to auto text giving them there own codes, then
saving the auto text only under its template name so as to not have all of
this auto text for all active templates. Same procedure as I used before. I
then saved it under its new name and pulled it up as a template again and
checked the CPU usage. Bam, CPU usage hung around 50 - 100%. Pulled the new
template up as a document and CPU usage normal. So, I thought maybe the fact
that I copied the same auto text I was using into the template may have
caused the problem so I started from scratch again and this time I would
create a new template and type my own test auto text which I would save to
that new template. Same thing happened, as soon as I had saved some auto
text in the new template and then pulled it back up as a template to work on
it, the CPU usage goes way up. Everything works fine, however, I do find
this strange. The one computer with 512 ram will hold at 90% and higher when
working with the template as a template, it is fine when working with it as a
document. My concern is that as I add more auto text to the template it will
eventually lock up. The new one I just made had only 5 items, my original
has 90 already. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am going to send a copy of my template to work where I have Word 2000 and
work off of a server and see if it does the same thing there. At home were
this happens I have Word 2003 and Office 2003 along with 1 gig of ram and 512
on my smaller computer. Running Windows XP w/SP2 at home all up to date but
running Windows XP w/SP1 at work.
--
KM1

  #4  
Old May 21st 05, 11:57 PM
KM1
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ok, Went home after work and fired up the computer in safe mode. Pulled up
word and tried to see if I get the same CPU response in Safe mode as in
normal mode. No virus, firewall, spyware protection, etc. Found that,
again, when active and in the template I created the CPU usage on my smaller
computer hangs around 90 - 100% even in safe mode. This has to be something
with Office 2003, Word 2003, or some hardware setting. Two computer same,
two instulations of the same programs and OS, and same problem with CPU.
However, using same template on Pro version of XP wSP1 and office/word 2000
no problem with CPU usage. Someone at Microsoft should know something about
this phenonmenon. Any more information would be appreciated.
--
KM1


"KM1" wrote:

Thanks for the response. I pulled up the Template I created at work and
tried working in it as before. No problems with CPU usage. I tried several
times using exactly the same procedures at home, even checked to make sure
all the autotext I created with the template came with the email attachment.
All was the same, however, CPU usage stayed at 0% - 3%. Very strange. Now
there are major differences between the operating systems and software at
home and here at work. I will list them:

1. Using Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 installed and updated at home / At
work I am using Windows XP Professiona Edition 2002 w/SP1 installed Clone
computer is not up to date. Don't know about server.

2. Using Microsoft Office 2003 at home all up to date / At work they use
Microsoft Office 2000

3. Using Microsoft Word 2003 at Home all up to date / At work we use
Microsoft Office 2000

4. Using two individual computers at home with 1 gig ram & 512 ram / at
work we run clones from a server w/ 496 ram.

5. Using Mcafee Viruscan, Firewall Plus, Privacy Service & Microsoft
Atispyware Beta1 for virus and spyware protection. All of them have some
active component running in the background. At work I think they run Mcafee
on the server but none of it is availabel on the clone computers. They also
run Spybot Search and Destroy which is available on each clone but hidden.
No active components running. Program is run separately when needed.

Anyone out there know why this is occuring on a new system with newer
version of office and word and not on an older system with previous versions
of office and word. Would be very interested in knowing????


--
KM1


"Michael_Corral" wrote:

Please tell us what happens when you try doing this at work. If happens
again at work, it is a problem with Microsoft and they need to be told about
it, hopefully it will be fixed by MS Office 2007.
--
Top Notch Admin


"KM1" wrote:

Ok, I have posted this question a couple of days ago with only one response
so I will try again. I have tried the Cindy's suggestions on two computers
and found no change, so anyone else know why the below happens????

I was wondering why, when working on a template that I created and adding
auto text to that template, the cpu usage hangs around 50%. If I use the
template as a document and type in it, the cpu usage stays much lower
sometimes down to 0 to maybe 10 % or so. As soon as I pull up the template
as a template and then begin to work in it, the cpu usage goes up and
fluctuates as high as 50%. I have tried this on two different computers with
the same result. The
second computer has 1/2 the ram and it will hang around 90% while pulling the
template up as a template and adding auto text. Is this normal behavior?
Seems Strange.

I tried today to create a completely new template from scratch. I pulled up
the nomal.dot document as a template. Changed the margins, added tabs, the
date and some returns so it matched my old template. I then saved it under a
different name. Then I pulled it up as a template and checked the CPU usage
while in the template and it read 0%. I then copied 10 autotext items to it
and individually added them to auto text giving them there own codes, then
saving the auto text only under its template name so as to not have all of
this auto text for all active templates. Same procedure as I used before. I
then saved it under its new name and pulled it up as a template again and
checked the CPU usage. Bam, CPU usage hung around 50 - 100%. Pulled the new
template up as a document and CPU usage normal. So, I thought maybe the fact
that I copied the same auto text I was using into the template may have
caused the problem so I started from scratch again and this time I would
create a new template and type my own test auto text which I would save to
that new template. Same thing happened, as soon as I had saved some auto
text in the new template and then pulled it back up as a template to work on
it, the CPU usage goes way up. Everything works fine, however, I do find
this strange. The one computer with 512 ram will hold at 90% and higher when
working with the template as a template, it is fine when working with it as a
document. My concern is that as I add more auto text to the template it will
eventually lock up. The new one I just made had only 5 items, my original
has 90 already. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am going to send a copy of my template to work where I have Word 2000 and
work off of a server and see if it does the same thing there. At home were
this happens I have Word 2003 and Office 2003 along with 1 gig of ram and 512
on my smaller computer. Running Windows XP w/SP2 at home all up to date but
running Windows XP w/SP1 at work.
--
KM1

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CPU Usage While Creating or Modifying Your Own Template KM1 Microsoft Word Help 2 May 20th 05 04:41 PM
Word 97 templates not working properly in Word 2003 limited computer knowledge Microsoft Word Help 0 April 26th 05 02:07 AM
Locating Templates once created Lisa Sanford New Users 2 March 15th 05 11:38 AM
working w/ multiple templates Mike Microsoft Word Help 6 March 3rd 05 03:53 PM
Templates in too many languages. Only need English. capt_dalton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 2nd 04 11:29 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.