Brian Bischof

Default Documenting the template formats

I had a template for a project a while back that had the proper layout but
for some reason it was very buggy and kept crashing Word. I spent a lot of
time on this newsgroup trying to fix it and even sent the template to an
expert for review. Nothing worked and I managed to finish the project with a
few strands of hair left. Now I need to work on the document again and I
want to avoid this template at all costs. I'm going to install Word 2003 on
a brand new computer and create a new template from scratch. Is there a way
I can document the properties of the old template so I can just add all the
formatting into a new Word 2003 template? My problems last year were so
nightmarish (it was a large book that crashed every couple of minutes), that
I can't risk repeating them.

Also, please don't send me suggestions on fixing the old template. I spent
way too much time with way too many people to repeat that process again. I
just want to start from scratch this time.

Any ideas for documenting the formats in a template?

Thanks,

Brian Bischof
www.CrystalReportsBook.com

Jezebel

If by 'formats' you mean styles, you can simply print them out if you are
able to open either the template or the document based on it: select
'Styles' from the 'Print What' dropdown on the Print dialog.

However, you don't really need to do this. Just copy the document to the new
computer. It will contain the styles anyway. Or you can use the organiser to
copy the styles from the document (or indeed the old template) to a new
document or template.

I can understand your not wanting to revisit the old template. But unless
the template has code in it or seriously large quantities of Autotext and
similar, why do you think the crashing was caused by the template rather
than the document itself? Corrupt documents -- particularly when large --
are much more common than corrupt templates.

"Brian Bischof" wrote in message
[...]

Brian Bischof

Hey! That's just what I needed.

I know its something in the template because the book consisted of many
chapters and every chapter was always fine until I attached the template. It
would keep crashing until I removed the template. I had many times where I
would scream four letter words in the middle of the night b/c all my work
would get lost (that when I started pressing Ctl-S after every paragraph). I
even sent the template to a top Word expert to get rid of whatever bug/macro
error/whatever it was and they coudn't get it working either (even after all
the tricks to clean it and export to a new template). Anyway, your answer
told me exactly what I needed to know and now I'll be able to use a new
computer and never have that template haunt me again.

Thanks! :-)

Brian

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

You can record a macro for each of the settings (margins, etc.) in your
template and use the Organizer to transfer styles. See the MVP FAQ page on
saving system settings for an example of how to record such a macro. (This
may be in the page about the data key, not sure.) When using the Organizer
to copy styles to a new template, make sure that you copy the styles three
times to maintain links between style definitions.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.