Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
billybob

Default Document only opens partially

Running Windows XP Home
Windows 2002

Problem: I have a very important document that contains about 50 pages.
It is a secured password document. It opens with no problem. Everything is
fine until I scroll to the first half of page 44, then at that point the
document hangs and I get the MS popup to "send" or "don't send" for recovery
purposes. But the document problem remains. I opened the C drive backup
copy, but the same thing happened. Yes, I do have a CD updated back up, but
under the circumstances, I'm afraid that it might also have a problem. The
document is critical. I'm just trying to be careful here. Any ideas? My
next step is to "restore" to an earlier date. I don't know if my Word
software is corrupt or if it is the document. As of yet I have discovered no
other doc problems. What do you think?

My AV and Spybot are both up to date and show no problems.

Thank you for your important input !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If the document is corrupt, Word may be able to detect the corruption and
repair it.

First, make a copy of the document and work with that one. If something goes
wrong, you don't want to have ruined your original (even though it has its own
problems).

In Word, click File | Open...

Navigate to the copy and click once (don't double-click and open it).

With the document name highlighted, click the little arrow on the OPEN button
at the bottom of the dialog. Select "Open and Repair".

There are other things you can do but try this first.

"billybob" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
billybob

Thank you so much for your input.

Success!!! After making several copies of the document to work with, I
carefully began to check the document from the last half of page 43. I found
the problem to be a very small corrupt link. Upon deletion of that small
item, I was then able to scroll the whole document (about 10 more pages).
This was a critical document and I even backed up the document several days
ago without realizing it was corrupt. Whew!!! Close shave! Now I know to
keep several time-framed staggered CD backup copies from now on.