Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
word_novice word_novice is offline

Default DYNAMICALLY merging MSAccess Data into Word

Hi,

I am familiar with merging documents in Word via creating bookmarks and
populating the them from a data source. I am also fairly familiar with
merging relational data into Word.

My current problem is that I am trying to merge some fields in an Access
database table to a Word template document. However, the bookmark only exists
in one paragraph and often there are more than one items in the database
table of the same type.

I will illustrate with an example. If my main document with the
bookmarks/merge fields is this:
Hi XXX,

Here are the details of your enquiry:

1. XXX followed by standard block of text
xxxx followed by standard block of text
If my document needs more than one paragraphs WITH THE SAME TYPE OF MERGE
FIELDS, how can I automate word to replicate this over the number paragraphs
I want without the need for excessive templates or excessive copy and pastes.

You see, if I have just one paragraph, the merge works just fine. If I have
4, i could merge and replicate the paragraphs by copy and paste but if i have
25, I need a way to merge not only the first field but also subsequent fields
with the same standard block of text.

I have spent 3 months trying to solve this. please help. any suggestion will
be highly valued. i dont even mind doing some programming.

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would use a report in Access.

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

http://www.knowhow.com/Guides/Compou...poundMerge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"word_novice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
roccogrand roccogrand is offline

After working on this problem for an hour or so myself, I came with one work
around.

Use an Access query to define the extra fields you need and then use them
for your bookmarks. As long as you have a pretty good idea as to the number
of times that you need to use the same text, this should work with a little
error trapping for null strings. I am still experimenting with it myself.

HTH

LDN