Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TKLevsey TKLevsey is offline

Default Mail Merge HEADACHE! Please save me from going crazy

I'm doing a merge for a letter using "current doc", "existing list", browse
and locate the file. Select Table window appears, I see my file, I select
OK, another select table window appear. This window is blank, has an options
button and displays my workbook path. No matter what is selected or not
selected in this window, I continue getting the same "Cannot open date file".
I just can't figure out why I can merge with any other file, tab, workbook,
etc... but NOT the one with the informationn I need. Help with be soooo
appreciated.
--
Thanks, have a great...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When WOrd 2002/2003 tries to connect to an Excel sheet, by default it tries
three different methods in succession. If the first method (OLEDB) fails, it
tries the second (ODBC), and if that fails, it should try the third (DDE).

It /might/ fail the first because this workbook is corrupt, is password
protected, or has some other unusual feature. Certain kinds of problems may
prevent the sheet from opening whatever you try. You could try exporting all
the data from it into (say) .csv format, then importing it into a new
workbook and see if that can be used as a data source.

The ODBC dialog box is rather unhelpful. For one thing, you usually can't
see the full path name of the file it's trying to open in the dropdown at
the bottom of the box. It may actually be trying to open a different sheet
altogether. Second, you need to click the Options button and check all the
options so you can see what sheets and range names are in the workbook.

Another approach is to check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversions
at open", go through the connection process and select the DDE option when
offered. However, you will only be able to access the data in the first
sheet (or the last sheet you had open), if you can access it at all.

Peter Jamieson