Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mdavison mdavison is offline

Default Setting Date property in a form field

Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Alt+F9 indicates that this indicates a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property

type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mdavison mdavison is offline

Unfortunatly, no I can't save it as a template. I am working in a document
management system and can't do that. I CAN make the doc 'View Only" to the
rest of my staff - which achieves the same end. You think it wont work if
its a DOC?
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Alt+F9 indicates that this indicates a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property

type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How are you going to use it as a form if you don't have a template? If you
intend to reuse the document (saving under another name) I suppose you could
still use CREATEDATE or SAVEDATE).

"mdavison" wrote in message
Unfortunatly, no I can't save it as a template. I am working in a document
management system and can't do that. I CAN make the doc 'View Only" to the
rest of my staff - which achieves the same end. You think it wont work if
its a DOC?
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Alt+F9 indicates that this indicates a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date'

property
type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time

the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

I am trying to do something similar...I think. I am creating a form/template
and would like the "Date" field to default to the current date, BUT I would
also like users to be able change that date if they need to. Everything I've
tried seems to put the current date in there, but locks the field from
changes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property

type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would appear that you can either use a Date type of Text Form Field, in
which fillin is enabled, or a Current Date field, which inserts a DATE
field, which can't be changed.

"Brian" wrote in message
I am trying to do something similar...I think. I am creating a

form/template
and would like the "Date" field to default to the current date, BUT I

would
also like users to be able change that date if they need to. Everything

I've
tried seems to put the current date in there, but locks the field from
changes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Alt+F9 indicates that this inserts a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date'

property
type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time

the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

I can't use a Current Date field if it cannot be changed. What do you mean by
"a Date type of Text Form Field?" Is that when you enter a text field and
then basically just format it to be a date?