Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Trudy Trudy is offline

Default Division Function in Word Table

Is it possible to do a division funciton in a Word table and if so, how? We
tried enter the cell references (first column is A, first row is 1, etc) and
entering the formula like this: =(C3/b3) but the result is 0, though there
are numbers in both cells.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Division Function in Word Table

Yes, it is possible to do a division function in a Word table. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell where you want to display the result of the division.
  2. Type the equal sign (=) to start the formula.
  3. Click on the cell that contains the numerator (the number you want to divide).
  4. Type a forward slash (/) to indicate division.
  5. Click on the cell that contains the denominator (the number you want to divide by).
  6. Press Enter to complete the formula.

For example, if you want to divide the number in cell C3 by the number in cell B3 and display the result in cell D3, you would enter the formula "=C3/B3" (without the quotes) in cell D3.

If you're still getting a result of 0 even though there are numbers in both cells, make sure that the cells are formatted as numbers and not as text. To do this, select the cells and then click on the Home tab in the ribbon. In the Number group, click on the drop-down arrow next to the Number Format box and select a number format (such as Number or Currency).

__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Yes, it is possible. The syntax you used is correct - in this situation, you
could also leave out the parenthesis:
{ =C3/B3 }
using your cell references.

Did you update the field? Are you sure you are referring to the correct
cells? The result would be 0 if C3 is empty or contains a 0.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Trudy" wrote:

Is it possible to do a division funciton in a Word table and if so, how? We
tried enter the cell references (first column is A, first row is 1, etc) and
entering the formula like this: =(C3/b3) but the result is 0, though there
are numbers in both cells.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Trudy,

Word does maths vie formula fields, which you can create via Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (ie '{}'). You then type the
formula between these field braces (eg '{=C3/B3}'), then press F9 when you're done.

For more information on this and how to do a wide range of other calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

--
Cheers
macropod

"Trudy" wrote in message ...
Is it possible to do a division funciton in a Word table and if so, how? We
tried enter the cell references (first column is A, first row is 1, etc) and
entering the formula like this: =(C3/b3) but the result is 0, though there
are numbers in both cells.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

there is no sort function for a table in my Works Word 8.5 JudyBettinsoli Tables 1 May 27th 07 12:05 AM
word division Judy[_2_] Page Layout 1 May 8th 07 05:31 PM
how do i use sum function in a table in word 2007 beta hik_hk Tables 2 January 30th 07 09:09 AM
is there a division symbol. As in a maths division symbol CupCake Microsoft Word Help 3 November 15th 05 01:38 AM
Why there is no Table of Authorties function in my Word 2003 Joey_lim Microsoft Word Help 1 January 20th 05 05:07 PM