Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

Default How To Create Chapters with Page Numbering

I am typing a series of outlines of a book. There is one outline for each
book chapter. I would like to have Chapter numbers in the header of each
chapter. IE: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and so on. I would also like to have
page numbering formatted to indicate the page number & the chapter. IE:
1-1, 1-2, etc. I am using Office 2007 beta and cannot for the life of me
figure out how to do it. Is there anyone willing to write me a step by step?
Eternally grateful in advance...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See the article "I want to include the chapter number with the page number
in the Header - how can I do this?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne" wrote in message
I am typing a series of outlines of a book. There is one outline for each
book chapter. I would like to have Chapter numbers in the header of each
chapter. IE: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and so on. I would also like to have
page numbering formatted to indicate the page number & the chapter. IE:
1-1, 1-2, etc. I am using Office 2007 beta and cannot for the life of me
figure out how to do it. Is there anyone willing to write me a step by
step?
Eternally grateful in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

I appreciate the help from you and Doug. I will read the article and take
another stab at it.

Suzanne

"Suzanne" wrote:

I am typing a series of outlines of a book. There is one outline for each
book chapter. I would like to have Chapter numbers in the header of each
chapter. IE: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and so on. I would also like to have
page numbering formatted to indicate the page number & the chapter. IE:
1-1, 1-2, etc. I am using Office 2007 beta and cannot for the life of me
figure out how to do it. Is there anyone willing to write me a step by step?
Eternally grateful in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

I have now read your article and am as confused as ever. I can only find the
steps involving formatting page numbers. They are set as you suggested.
Here is the problem I am having:

I type the outline, say its 3 pages. I then have 1-1, 1-2, & 1-3. When I
want to go to the next chapter. Do I page break or section break? In either
case, the numbering starts back at one, but with the same chapter number.
Again, I have 1-1, 1-2, 1-3. However, I want it to move from chapter 1 to 2
(ie: 2-1, 2-2, etc.) How do I set it up to automatically number both chapter
& page when I do a page/section break?

Suzanne

"Suzanne" wrote in message
I am typing a series of outlines of a book. There is one outline for

each
book chapter. I would like to have Chapter numbers in the header of

each
chapter. IE: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and so on. I would also like to

have
page numbering formatted to indicate the page number & the chapter.
IE:
1-1, 1-2, etc. I am using Office 2007 beta and cannot for the life of

me
figure out how to do it. Is there anyone willing to write me a step by
step?
Eternally grateful in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The chapter numbering comes from the paragraph number of an autonumbered
heading. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm. You
don't need a section break to change the chapter number, but you do need one
to restart page numbering.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I have just looked at the article and at the relevant parts of 2007 and
believe that the procedure is still the same.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This article, however, has not (AFAIK) been updated for Word 2007, so

you
may have to hunt around a bit to find the corresponding features in

that
version.

newsgroup
so

"Suzanne" wrote in message
I am typing a series of outlines of a book. There is one outline

for
each
book chapter. I would like to have Chapter numbers in the header

of
each
chapter. IE: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and so on. I would also like

have
page numbering formatted to indicate the page number & the chapter.
IE:
1-1, 1-2, etc. I am using Office 2007 beta and cannot for the life

of
me
figure out how to do it. Is there anyone willing to write me a

step by
step?
Eternally grateful in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

I read that article before and it is a little confusing. Some of the steps
tell you to do things, but not how. I need basic instructions, I'm afraid.
The thing I ended up doing was automatic Chapter headings centered on the
first page of each chapter and then just regular numbering which starts over
with each new chapters. I never could get the chapter page numbers to change
over.

Suzanne

"Suzanne" wrote in message
I am typing a series of outlines of a book. There is one outline

for
each
book chapter. I would like to have Chapter numbers in the header

of
each
chapter. IE: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and so on. I would also like

have
page numbering formatted to indicate the page number & the chapter.
IE:
1-1, 1-2, etc. I am using Office 2007 beta and cannot for the life

of
me
figure out how to do it. Is there anyone willing to write me a

step by
step?
Eternally grateful in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In order to use "Include chapter number," you have to do two things:

1. Use one of Word's built-in heading styles for the paragraph that provides
the chapter number.

2. Use auto numbering to number the chapter.

That is, the paragraph that says "Chapter 2" must be Heading 1, say, or
Heading 2, and the number must not be typed as text; it must come from auto
numbering. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for the
general principles of outline numbering, which can be modified if the
chapter is the only thing you're numbering.

When you've met those conditions, then you select the appropriate heading
style for the "Include chapter number" option.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The chapter numbering comes from the paragraph number of an autonumbered
heading. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm. You
don't need a section break to change the chapter number, but you do need

one
to restart page numbering.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I have just looked at the article and at the relevant parts of 2007

and
believe that the procedure is still the same.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This article, however, has not (AFAIK) been updated for Word 2007,

so
you
may have to hunt around a bit to find the corresponding features

in
that
version.

newsgroup