great), but no dice. I've also had my longest groups of sub-headings suddenly
(and permanently!) break up into separate entries, and I've had to delete as
many as 25 entries and start again.
What I find works when that happens is to find a couple of entries that
stayed inside their sub-heading, copy it in the text, and use that to redo
all the entries that broke out. What a pain! I'm thinking about buying a 3rd
party indexing program because Word seems to be buggy and nobody is admitting
it.

Maybe if enough of us speak up, they'll fix it.
Sandy

"Daphne D" wrote:

I am attempting to create an index on an exsisting document, and I am running into a few glitches. (office 2000)
1- I tried to go through the document and make the formatting as uniform as i could figure out. But there are instances where i highlight to mark an entry (shift-alt-x) and it will not mark all fields. sometimes it marks nothing, sometimes it marks the other entries in the document, but not the one selected. it has also said there is nothing selected. i go back and try again and it says the same. it will let me mark them individually, and sometimes the entries will then combine in the index, and sometimes they dont. So, a- any ideas of whats going on? and b- Is there any hidden formatting i should look for that may be causing problems?
2- some of my marked entries arent showing up in the index. theres a line with the page numbers, but no agency title. any ideas? i tried removing the entries and the line is still there. i also tried removing, retyping and remarking with no results.
3- is there any way to have word look for mulitple index entries in only one style (ie body text 3)?
4- can you create multiple index marks out of one entry? (ie Anoka county child care resource and referral, mark for "anoka cty child care resource & referral" and "child care resource & referral") it has worked on some, but not most of them.
thank you for any help.
daphne