Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Art Frank Art Frank is offline

Default Read-only recommended not sticking

Actually, it's not UN-sticking. I have a document, when I open it, I get the
"...should be opened as read-only unless changes to it need to be saved.
Open as read-only?" message. Simple fix, right? Save as, select the General
Options, and uncheck the "Read-only recommended" box. Click OK, click Save.
Problem is, the document still spits out the "Open as read-only?" message
whenever it's opened. This is a .doc file in Word 2007 (SP 2) so I tried
converting it to .docx before doing save as. Still, I get the "Open as
read-only?" message. Why can't I get rid of this message? Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Art Frank Art Frank is offline

More information -- if I save the document as .docx and dig into the
underlying files (by unzipping) there is a tag w:writeProtection
w:recommended="1"/ in the settings.xml file. If I remove this tag, re-zip
the files and rename the zip as .docx, it opens without the message. Great,
but how do I accomplish this using Word?