Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HAD IT UP TO HERE HAD IT UP TO HERE is offline

Default MS Word Alternative

MS Word is a Rube Goldberg machine.

I write business documents. I don't write pretty party invitations or have
pastel backgrounds in my docs. I can program in 2 languages plus VBA, and
I'm a tax lawyer. Complex I know.

Nevertheless, I spend half of my time in Word mucking with formatting
instead of drafting. My employees are less skilled, and even after
impelmenting the work arounds posted here; they waste more time formatting
than in doing other document processing tasks.

Word is costing me big bucks in lost productivity.

And it's not just me. No one that I know is happy with Word.
Does anyone know of another product that does numbering, doesn't try to make
me design "pretty"; and lets "not so technical" employees get my work done?

signed
HAD IT UP TO HERE
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HAD IT UP TO HERE[_2_] HAD IT UP TO HERE[_2_] is offline

...hmm
Thank you for the reply, but I think you might have been a little sarcastic.
The first thing Works displays is "Brochure" and "Party Invitation" .

"Business" means headers, footers, and citations. Words does have a lot of
features but it tries to be something to everyone. For a multi-level heading
serious document, it is too clumsy, even in the 2008 iteration.

We are going to make a serious effort to find some that "works", pun
intended, including WP.

Thanks
Don Lowrey

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

Microsoft Works 9
http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx

"HAD IT UP TO HERE" HAD IT UP TO wrote in message
MS Word is a Rube Goldberg machine.

I write business documents. I don't write pretty party invitations or have
pastel backgrounds in my docs. I can program in 2 languages plus VBA, and
I'm a tax lawyer. Complex I know.

Nevertheless, I spend half of my time in Word mucking with formatting
instead of drafting. My employees are less skilled, and even after
impelmenting the work arounds posted here; they waste more time formatting
than in doing other document processing tasks.

Word is costing me big bucks in lost productivity.

And it's not just me. No one that I know is happy with Word.
Does anyone know of another product that does numbering, doesn't try to make
me design "pretty"; and lets "not so technical" employees get my work done?

signed
HAD IT UP TO HERE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Don,

Perhaps if you & your staff learned how to use Word correctly, you'd have fewer productivity issues - indeed you might find
productivity increasing.

Given your work situation, the proper implementation of appropriately-formatted templates for the various kinds of documents you
need, plus training in how to use Styles, Autotext and Word's other productivity features, would be a great boon.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HAD IT UP TO HERE[_2_] HAD IT UP TO HERE[_2_] is offline

I'm sure you are correct, we should learn how to use Word.

Just for fun, try an experiment. Mention Word, numbering and complex
document to any grad student or working professional who gets paid based on
work product output.

Will you get a smile, or a scowl?

-Cheers

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Don , you are correct, I tend to get a scowl.... but then a smile after about
1/2hour me showing them the simple ways of getting Word under control.
I also do this on a paid basis but that lasts longer than 1/2 hour! ;-)
Maybe some training for you and your staff by a reputable trainier will pay
dividends in productivity and staff morale.
All the best
DeanH

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Would you let your staff drive your car without any driver training? Would
you let them loose on tax law without any training? You cannot possibly hope
to get the best from a complex piece of software without learning how to
drive it.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

Wonder what version of word?
Lawyers. It's always everyone else's fault.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
: Would you let your staff drive your car without any driver training? Would
: you let them loose on tax law without any training? You cannot possibly
hope
: to get the best from a complex piece of software without learning how to
: drive it.
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
:
: HAD IT UP TO HERE wrote:
: I'm sure you are correct, we should learn how to use Word.
:
: Just for fun, try an experiment. Mention Word, numbering and complex
: document to any grad student or working professional who gets paid
: based on work product output.
:
: Will you get a smile, or a scowl?
:
: -Cheers
:
: "macropod" wrote:
:
: Hi Don,
:
: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
:
: Microsoft Works 9
: http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx
:
:
: "HAD IT UP TO HERE" HAD IT UP TO
: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Ultimer Ultimer is offline
Junior Member

Since I switched to digital workflow, I've found many alternative ways to work with documents. Previously, I had to do everything manually, but now I can use special software here https://www.pandawaiver.com/ to create a template, for example, a waiver template, save it and send it to the client for e-signature.