Jac

Default STYLE WON'T APPLY

Hi there,
Word 2003
I am facing a style problem when formating text
I select the text I want to format has Heading 1 for instance (same for all
pre formatted style) - the I select Heanding 1 and ...nothing change in
display, but on the style task pane appears a "headiing,1" (note the comma)
If I select another heading, f.i. Heading 4, then the new task pane dispaly
becomes "heading,4"
No headings can be apllied, then I cannot work with levels
Looking in tools/Edit or else, did not modify the situation
Is there someone who can help me to solve this problem
Thanks in advance
Jac
Joe McGuire

Try checking on the actual formatting details of your Heading 1 style and
the others. In recent versions of Word you will see a box at the right of
the screen displaying your styles. The name of each particular style
usually appears pretty much exactly as it is formatted, e.g., if Heading 1
is set for Arial 14 Pt, the name of that style will also appear in that list
in that font. Or right click on the style in that box on the right (If you
don't see it click on Format, Styles & Formatting) and select Modify Style.
Check your formatting settings, including Font, paragraph etc.

If this still does not work you may have some local formatting that is
getting in the way of the style. I ithink local formatting supersedes
Styles. You can get rid of any such local formatting with the styles window
open by selecting the text andin the Styles Window clicking on Clear
Formatting. Then try to apply the style to that text.

Hope this helps.