Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mturner296 mturner296 is offline

Default Need help with style sets

Sorry, but I'm just not assmilating the styles model in Word 2007.

What is a Quick Style, and how does it differ from a non-Quick Style? Are
Quick Styles what appear in the gallery of styles in the Styles block of the
Home tab? What is special about them other than appearing in the gallery?
Why should I use them? (I find the Styles window easier to use.)

Why do styles appear in the Quick Style gallery even if they are not used,
whereas if I open the Styles window it only shows the styles in use? How can
I know what styles are available to me for a given style set? How can I get
even unused ones to appear in the Styles window?

How can I know what style set is currently active? Why doesn't the Change
Styles-Style Set dropdown show me the active style set? (Seems like an
obvious thing to do.)

If I change style sets, what will happen if I am currenlty using a style of
a given name, but that name is not defined for the new style set?

Thanks.
--
Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

mturner296 wrote:

What is a Quick Style, and how does it differ from a non-Quick Style? Are
Quick Styles what appear in the gallery of styles in the Styles block of the
Home tab? What is special about them other than appearing in the gallery?
Why should I use them? (I find the Styles window easier to use.)

Quick styles are styles that have been placed in the quick style gallery by
you or the template/document designer.
(You are joking about the easier, right? I prefer the styles gallery too.
But I think that's just habit. I've noticed quite a few times how convenient
the gallery is--particularly after I learned how to add, remove, and
reorder the styles there. Still, I usually work with the styles pane open.)

Why do styles appear in the Quick Style gallery even if they are not used,
whereas if I open the Styles window it only shows the styles in use? How can
I know what styles are available to me for a given style set? How can I get
even unused ones to appear in the Styles window?

Style sets are a little different. They are made by adding and deleting
styles from the styles gallery and then choosing to save the results as a
style set. That means, that unless someone has removed a style from the
gallery, what you see is what's available. If you think styles may have
been removed, you can
reapply the style set.

How can I know what style set is currently active? Why doesn't the Change
Styles-Style Set dropdown show me the active style set? (Seems like an
obvious thing to do.)

The default style set is Word 20007. If you reapply it or change to another,
the style set will be marked for that session. But if you close and reopen,
Word (usually) does not indicate the style set being used. That's probably
something, MS needs to fix.

HTH,
Pam