Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Dave is offline

Default How to stop negative numbers splitting at the minus sign for new l

I've tried using an n-dash instead of a hyphen, formatting as a number and
nothing seems to work. As I type in front of the number it will suddenly
split a new line between the minus sign and the number itself i.e.
-
112345.67
.... instead of keeping the sign and number together. It is most annoying.
Anyone with an idea how to fix this?
Thanks, Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Al Al is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Instead of using either a hyphen or an en dash, try using a minus
sign; it's located at U2212 in the Mathematical Operators character
subset, and it's nonbreaking.

Why not a non-breaking hyphen?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

A hyphen doesn't have the width of a minus sign.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Al" wrote in message
.102...
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Instead of using either a hyphen or an en dash, try using a minus
sign; it's located at U2212 in the Mathematical Operators character
subset, and it's nonbreaking.

Why not a non-breaking hyphen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Correct. A nonbreaking hyphen would probably work, but I prefer an en dash
or minus sign in columns of figures because they are the width of the
figures (and the same as the plus sign). For an isolated number, it probably
wouldn't make any difference.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
A hyphen doesn't have the width of a minus sign.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Al" wrote in message
.102...
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Instead of using either a hyphen or an en dash, try using a minus
sign; it's located at U2212 in the Mathematical Operators character
subset, and it's nonbreaking.

Why not a non-breaking hyphen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But the minus sign character sits so high on the line -- it ought to
align with the crossbar of the + like an en-dash.

On Jun 11, 8:39*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Correct. A nonbreaking hyphen would probably work, but I prefer an en dash
or minus sign in columns of figures because they are the width of the
figures (and the same as the plus sign). For an isolated number, it probably
wouldn't make any difference.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

A hyphen doesn't have the width of a minus sign.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Al" wrote in message
7.102...
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Instead of using either a hyphen or an en dash, try using a minus
sign; it's located at U2212 in the Mathematical Operators character
subset, and it's nonbreaking.

Why not a non-breaking hyphen?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Times New Roman and Arial, viewed at 500% on my screen, the minus sign
does align with the crossbar of the plus (the en dash is lower). I don't
know what would print, of course, and other fonts may vary. I sometimes use
the minus sign as a non-breaking en dash.

"grammatim" wrote in message
But the minus sign character sits so high on the line -- it ought to
align with the crossbar of the + like an en-dash.

On Jun 11, 8:39 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Correct. A nonbreaking hyphen would probably work, but I prefer an en dash
or minus sign in columns of figures because they are the width of the
figures (and the same as the plus sign). For an isolated number, it
probably
wouldn't make any difference.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

A hyphen doesn't have the width of a minus sign.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Al" wrote in message
7.102...
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Instead of using either a hyphen or an en dash, try using a minus
sign; it's located at U2212 in the Mathematical Operators character
subset, and it's nonbreaking.

Why not a non-breaking hyphen?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know what font I was in when you made me aware of the minus
sign character some time back, but it couldn't be used for whatever I
was doing at the time.

"grammatim" wrote in message

But the minus sign character sits so high on the line -- it ought to
align with the crossbar of the + like an en-dash.

On Jun 11, 8:39 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Correct. A nonbreaking hyphen would probably work, but I prefer an en dash
or minus sign in columns of figures because they are the width of the
figures (and the same as the plus sign). For an isolated number, it
probably
wouldn't make any difference.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

. ..

A hyphen doesn't have the width of a minus sign.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Al" wrote in message