Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Skyeblue Skyeblue is offline

Default How do I go back to merge first record?

Hi
Is there anyway I could merge my records on the first page and again merge
the SAME records on the 2nd and 3rd pages - the 3 pages have different
subject headings.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There's no field code that can take you back.

You can either try to manipulate your data source so that it duplicates the
records you need in the sequence you need (not particularly easy in the
general case) or you can try to store the values in each record using SET
fields

e.g.

{ SET myrec1field1 { MERGEFIELD myfield1 } }
{ SET myrec1field2 { MERGEFIELD myfield2 } }

then use them when they are needed:

{ REF myrec1field1 }

etc. (all the {} need to be the special field braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9)

Whether that is workable deends on what you have to do. If you have an
arbitrary number of records that you need to repeat, it won't work. If you
always know you need to store the values from x records (say 3 records) you
may be able to get away with it.

Peter Jamieson

"Skyeblue" wrote in message
Hi
Is there anyway I could merge my records on the first page and again merge
the SAME records on the 2nd and 3rd pages - the 3 pages have different
subject headings.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
fscodave fscodave is offline

So there's no command like CHAINDATA(filename) in WP? That simply
reloads a data file, "chaining" it, either the original one or any one
you name, at the end of the merge. (WP also has nestdata and nestform
commands, to go to and back from data or form files.)

Honest, I'm not trying to be grumpy or snide, but several of the merges
I set up either use the chaindata command or recursively call the same
form with the CHAINFORM command. These commands were absolutely
fundamental to how several of the merges worked. I need to report this
back to IT.

David

"Skyeblue" wrote in message
Hi
Is there anyway I could merge my records on the first page and again merge
the SAME records on the 2nd and 3rd pages - the 3 pages have different
subject headings.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

So there's no command like CHAINDATA(filename) in WP? That simply
reloads a data file, "chaining" it, either the original one or any one
you name, at the end of the merge. (WP also has nestdata and nestform
commands, to go to and back from data or form files.)

No, Word does not have any of that stuff.

Honest, I'm not trying to be grumpy or snide, but several of the merges

Don't worry, I would much rather have a better Word, and I'm sure it's both
frustrating coming from a more flexible and powerful product and also
difficult to see what is feasible, what is easy, etc.

Peter Jamieson

ups.com...

"Skyeblue" wrote in message
Hi
Is there anyway I could merge my records on the first page and again
merge
the SAME records on the 2nd and 3rd pages - the 3 pages have different
subject headings.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
fscodave fscodave is offline

OK, thanks. I'll pass that on to IT. They'll have to change the dbf
output and rethink how those merges can work. Maybe some of the other
recommendations about changing the data files could be adapted to what
they do. (The database is currently FoxPro, but the plan is to switch
to Access.)

Peter Jamieson wrote:
So there's no command like CHAINDATA(filename) in WP? That simply
reloads a data file, "chaining" it, either the original one or any one
you name, at the end of the merge. (WP also has nestdata and nestform
commands, to go to and back from data or form files.)

No, Word does not have any of that stuff.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Fscodave,

So there's no command like CHAINDATA(filename) in WP? That simply
reloads a data file, "chaining" it, either the original one or any one
you name, at the end of the merge. (WP also has nestdata and nestform
commands, to go to and back from data or form files.)

Honest, I'm not trying to be grumpy or snide, but several of the merges
I set up either use the chaindata command or recursively call the same
form with the CHAINFORM command. These commands were absolutely
fundamental to how several of the merges worked. I need to report this
back to IT.

Nope, nothing like...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland