Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Chappell Dave Chappell is offline

Default replace french style quotation marks (guillemets) with smart quote

My Word 2000 program has suddenly started, at random it seems, doing
quotation marks in the french style (guillemets) instead of the smart quotes
I normally use, even when the citation of an article is in English. Yet I
cannot even type a guillemet in find and replace to change it, nor has any
other function addressed the problem. Can you please help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it works like 2003, then some part of your document is set to
Language French. Select All; then Tools Language Set Language and
choose one of the Englishes. It won't convert the guillemets back for
you, but at least it won't automatically insert them any more.

To Find/Replace all of them, select one, and Copy/Paste it into the
Find window of the Find/Replace pane.

On May 2, 7:58*pm, Dave Chappell Dave
wrote:
My Word 2000 program has suddenly started, at random it seems, doing
quotation marks in the french style (guillemets) instead of the smart quotes
I normally use, even when the citation of an article is in English. *Yet I
cannot even type a guillemet in find and replace to change it, nor has any
other function addressed the problem. *Can you please help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Chappell[_2_] Dave Chappell[_2_] is offline

Default replace french style quotation marks (guillemets) with smart q

Thank you for your advice, the first part seems to have worked, but as for
the second part, correcting the individual errors, I can't find a way to put
the selected guillemet into the find box, instead it puts it into the
document text each time, both on my laptop and when I try it on the desktop
with a mouse. The best I have been able to do is replace the double
guillemet with two single quote marks using control and quote mark key
(adding shift does not work to get a double curly quote), but it does not
look right to the eye...

wrote:
My Word 2000 program has suddenly started, at random it seems, doing
quotation marks in the french style (guillemets) instead of the smart quotes
I normally use, even when the citation of an article is in English. Yet I
cannot even type a guillemet in find and replace to change it, nor has any
other function addressed the problem. Can you please help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Chappell[_2_] Dave Chappell[_2_] is offline

At least, thanks to your help, I can manually change the guillemets to curly
quotes now, and since I caught it early on, the problem seems to be
eliminated. Thanks!