Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Moloney[_2_] Paul Moloney[_2_] is offline

Default Headings being renamed - Heading1 becomes Heading1,h1, etc - HELP

I've run into a weird problem where some of my docs, every so often,
have the headings renamed - specially, Heading1 to Heading4 become
Heading1,h1 to Heading4,h4.

The template on which the docs are based on have Heading1 to Heading4
correctly. And I can renamed Heading1,h1 back to Heading1 and the
problem goes away.

But every so often it comes back again. I'm completely baffled.

P.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

When that happens, have you copied and inserted content from other document(s)?

The following may explain what you experience:
"h1" and "h4" are alias names added to the "main" style names. Such alias
names are just extra names you can use instead of the "main" name of the
style (like using initials instead of the full name of a person). Short alias
names can be useful. For example, if Heading 1 has the alias name "h1", you
can quickly apply Heading 1: select the Style field (can be done using
Ctrl+Shift+S), type "h1" in the field and hit Return.

You can add an alias name to any style name via the Modify Style dialog box.
To do this, type the appropriate separator (most often comma or semicolon €“
depends on your regional settings) after the "main" style name €“ followed by
the desired alias name. You can even add more alias name to the same style.

If you have a document without alias style names and copy text with the
corresponding styles from a document that has alias names, the alias names
will be appended to the "main" style names in your document.

The alias names do not in any way harm the styles in your document.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)