GP

Default Autorecovery problem

My computer crashed while I was using a Word document. After restarting,
Word cannot open my autorecovery file and can't recover just the text either.
Does anyone know how to get the file to open?
Graham Mayor

If you haven't saved the document recently and the autorecover didn't
recover the file, then it is lost.
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

GP wrote:
My computer crashed while I was using a Word document. After
restarting, Word cannot open my autorecovery file and can't recover
just the text either. Does anyone know how to get the file to open?

GP

Thanks for the site, it will be very helpful next time. The strange thing is
that I saved the document every few minutes. But after the crash the
"Original" document was missing text much farther back than my last save
(probably a whole days worth of work), and this has happened before on my
computer. The "Recovered" document could not be opened by word. The .wbk file
also could not be opened by word. And there was no .asd file for some
reason. And I was also not able to recover just the text from any document.
So I was confused as to what the problem was with the Autorecovery. Any
insight would be really appreciated as this seems to happen every so often.
(I'm running Office 2003).
Thanks!

GP wrote:
My computer crashed while I was using a Word document. After
restarting, Word cannot open my autorecovery file and can't recover
just the text either. Does anyone know how to get the file to open?

Graham Mayor

Autorecovery saves a recovery file every few minutes at the frequency set in
tools options. It is no guarantee that in the event of a crash you will be
able to use it to recover your work, but it is probably better than nothing
and relies on the recoivery properties of Windows XP and NTFS filing systems
to provide any real hope of recovery. FAT32 filing systems do not recover
nearly so well.

I would urge you to run the Windows check disk utility to verify the status
of your filing system and correct any problems.

Autorecovery isn't a backup system and is no substitute for regular saving
of the document. See also http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm