Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Mark is offline

Default Word 2003 footnote issue's

I recently opened a document sent to me and the footnote numbering was messed
up. this does not occur when the doc is opened on any other computer. I have
tried resaving the doc and resending it, this does not solve the problem. I
would appreciate any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How is it "messed up"?

What version of Word?

Did you save the document to your hard drive before you opened it?
(Don't open a Word file directly from the email attachment.)

On Sep 29, 11:55*am, Mark wrote:
I recently opened a document sent to me and the footnote numbering was messed
up. this does not occur when the doc is opened on any other computer. I have
tried resaving the doc and resending it, this does not solve the problem. I
would appreciate any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Mark is offline

On Sep 29, 11:55 am, Mark wrote:
I recently opened a document sent to me and the footnote numbering was messed
up. this does not occur when the doc is opened on any other computer. I have
tried resaving the doc and resending it, this does not solve the problem. I
would appreciate any help!

it is messed up in that the footnote numbers are not displayed- instead there are random symbols.

It is an early version of word 2003, I don't know exactly which one.
And I opened it after it was saved to the hard drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Literally "random symbols"? Or are they asterisk, dagger, double
dagger, section mark? If they're really random, you might have a big
problem, but if they're asterisk dagger etc., you change them back to
numbers in the footnote format panel, which you get at through Insert
Reference Footnote. Select the first footnote reference mark, open

that panel, and change the Format dropdown to "1, 2, 3". If you're
lucky, it might switch all of them back, or you might have to repeat
the process for each one.

Word 2003 Footnote PA New Users 6 June 2nd 08 01:40 AM
Footnote option grayed out in Word 2003 Kim St. George Microsoft Word Help 2 October 3rd 06 08:57 PM
Word 2003 footnote continuing on next page [email protected] Page Layout 5 April 7th 06 08:40 PM
How do I edit a footnote in Word 2003? Vicky Campagna Microsoft Word Help 2 February 25th 06 04:11 PM
How do I hyperlink a footnote to a heading in Word 2003? Sheldon Microsoft Word Help 1 February 12th 05 09:52 PM