Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SteveP

Default Document Protection: How can we switch off highlighting by default

Word 2003: Is there a way using VBA to switch off the highlighting that
displays the editable regions of a document ? Shouldn't there be an option
to toggle this on/off in the Tools|Options|View menu (in the same way as for
normal highlighting)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SteveP

Default Document Protection: How can we switch off highlighting by def

Thanks Graham, but the field shading option works for 'normal'
grey-highlighted fields but not for the pale yellow highlight that comes on
with document protection

SteveP wrote:
Word 2003: Is there a way using VBA to switch off the highlighting
that displays the editable regions of a document ? Shouldn't there
be an option to toggle this on/off in the Tools|Options|View menu (in
the same way as for normal highlighting)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SteveP

Yes, but I cannot find a way of being able to switch off this shading option
programmatically (via a macro in AutoOpen for example). It is not possible to
record the action in a macro and I can't see anything in VBA that'll do it.

SteveP wrote:
Word 2003: Is there a way using VBA to switch off the highlighting
that displays the editable regions of a document ? Shouldn't there
be an option to toggle this on/off in the Tools|Options|View menu
(in the same way as for normal highlighting)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Steve,

This is the magic statement:

ActiveWindow.View.ShadeEditableRanges = False

or, if the document you want isn't active at the time, use the
appropriate Window object variable instead of ActiveWindow.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

SteveP wrote:
Word 2003: Is there a way using VBA to switch off the highlighting
that displays the editable regions of a document ? Shouldn't there
be an option to toggle this on/off in the Tools|Options|View menu
(in the same way as for normal highlighting)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Ahh, my drink of choice! Just pour it into your modem, I'll catch it
when it comes out. :-)

Jay

SteveP wrote:
Word 2003: Is there a way using VBA to switch off the highlighting
that displays the editable regions of a document ? Shouldn't there
be an option to toggle this on/off in the Tools|Options|View menu
(in the same way as for normal highlighting)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason K. Jason K. is offline

If this works (ActiveWindow.View.ShadeEditableRanges = False) I'd love to
know how to use it... I tried to add this code to "ThisDocument" inside my
project but it slaps me with an error. I have little experience w/programming
and could use a little help... Word 03 SP2... UserForm (I'm trying to
automatically hide the form field grey shading in a online-form I created.)

Thanks in advance! ~JKK

SteveP wrote:
Word 2003: Is there a way using VBA to switch off the highlighting
that displays the editable regions of a document ? Shouldn't there
be an option to toggle this on/off in the Tools|Options|View menu
(in the same way as for normal highlighting)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Jason,

You can't put a bare line of code like that into ThisDocument or anywhere
else. It has to be inside a procedure (a subroutine or function). Exactly
which procedure to use depends on when you want it to run.

Assuming you want this line of code to run whenever you open a document
based on a particular template, you have two choices
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...ntEvents.htm):

- In the ThisDocument area of the template, create a Document_Open()
procedure and put the line inside it.

- Insert a module in the template, create an AutoOpen() procedure, and put
the line inside it.

To run the same line when a new document is based on the template, also
create a Document_New() or AutoNew() procedure.

You may also get some helpful info at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...csIn15Mins.htm.

--
Regards,