Paul

Default How do I enable macros?

I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a warning that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled". It says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features, Visual Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and checked it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working. I do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

When you get a warning that macros are disabled, you also get a message
telling you to check Word's Help file for information on this.
Unfortunately, this instruction is couched in language that most users don't
understand (something like "refer to the application's online
documentation"), and if you type "enable macros" into the Answer Wizard, the
Help topic you mention is the first one listed. The topic you really need
(sort of) is the second one listed: "Change the security level for macro
virus protection." Unfortunately, it tells you just the opposite of what you
want to do! A better choice is the omnibus topic "Troubleshoot macro
security and warnings."

If you work your way down through this, you'll ultimately get to this bottom
line:

1. On the Security Level tab of Tools | Macro | Security, change the
security level from High to Medium. This will assure that you get a message
allowing you to enable macros if you choose (you can still opt not to).

2. On the Trusted Sources tab, check the box for "Trust all installed
add-ins and templates." This will automatically enable macros in all
templates in your User Templates and Workgroup Templates folders (that is,
ones that you have created), as well as all templates and add-ins in Word's
Startup folder. Unfortunately, this trust does not extend to the Office
Startup folder, but any add-ins that are located there will usually be ones
from mainstream add-ins that you can choose to trust: that is, they will be
signed macros, and you will be given the option to "Trust all macros from
XYZ Corporation." Doing so will add that publisher to your Trusted Sources.

"Paul" wrote in message
I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a warning

that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled". It

says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features, Visual

Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and checked

it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working. I

do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

Paul

No, that's not working for me. I had tried that before I wrote, and I tried
it again just now. I am still getting the same warning about macros being
disabled. Now I find that I am unable to paste anything into a document.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am still without a solution.

Paul

"Paul" wrote in message
I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a warning

that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled". It

says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features, Visual

Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and checked

it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working. I

do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

Paul

In my earlier reply, I said that there was still trouble. Since then, I have
shut down Word and restarted it. Everything seems fine now. My thanks to
Suzanne S. Barnhill.

Paul Kunkel

Inability to paste is one symptom of the Blaster worm. See

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Paul" wrote in message
I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a

warning
that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled".

It
says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features,

Visual
Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and

checked
it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working.

do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

SusanM

I can't lose this problem, I have reinstalled office several times, and still
could not fix it. no matter how many times I follow the directions given by
MS. I read an article in PC magazine and their answer was "why bother, it
will never be fixed" and the article title was "Kill MS Word"

"Paul" wrote in message
In my earlier reply, I said that there was still trouble. Since then, I

have
shut down Word and restarted it. Everything seems fine now. My thanks to
Suzanne S. Barnhill.

Paul Kunkel

Duane B

I have an add-in in my startup folder which puts some buttons on Word that
connects to my bible study program (E-sword). I saw that you said in this
post that, "Unfortunately, this trust does not extend to the Office
Startup folder."
I want to remove my add-in safely from the startup folder because I don't
like dealing with the window to enable macros every time I start Word, and I
don't use by bible study feature very much. Do I just delete it from the
startup folder or is there something else I must do? Thanks, Duane B

"Paul" wrote in message
I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a warning

that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled". It

says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features, Visual

Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and checked

it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working. I

do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

Charles Kenyon

You can move the Add-In to Word's own startup folder if you want. Otherwise,
I would recommend uninstalling E-sword, and then, if necessary, deleting the
..dot file from the Office Startup folder.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

"Paul" wrote in message
I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a
warning

that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled". It

says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features, Visual

Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and
checked

it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working.

do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

I would suggest moving the add-in to a different folder. It could be Word's
Startup folder as Charles suggests, but if you use the add-in only
infrequently, put it somewhere else that you can find it easily. When you
want to use it, use Tools | Templates and Add-ins to load it for just one
session.

"Paul" wrote in message
I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a

warning
that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled".

It
says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features,

Visual
Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and

checked
it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working.

do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

Graham Mayor

In fact if you add it to the templates and add-ins list it will always be
present in that list and you simply need to check it to have it available. A
technique for activating this easily can be found at
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

"Paul" wrote in message
I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a
warning that macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot
insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is
disabled". It says to run the Setup program again and check Office
Shared Features, Visual Basic for Applications. It was already
checked, but I unchecked it and checked it again. I also tried
lowering the security level. Nothing is working. I do not appear
to be having the same proble with Excel.

Monty

Paul, I had the same problem. The message from Suzanne S. Barnhill helped me
get this figured out. After following Suzanne's instructions I received a
message when opening Word about "enabling macros". At the top of the message
was the name (& location ... i.e. path) of a macro that was in my "Startup"
folder. I didn't create the macros nor was I using it/them. I followed the
path (using Windows Explorer) & deleted the the macros in my "Startup"
folder. This rid me of all "macros" messages when starting Word. Hope this
helps someone. TGD
--
TMGT

"Paul" wrote:

I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a warning that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled". It says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features, Visual Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and checked it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working. I do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glennlane1

I get a message beginning "The document contaions macros. Macro language
support for this application is disabled . . .", but dont see any path of a
macro. How would I find a list of all macros in my startup file?

"Paul" wrote:

I just upgraded fro Office 97 to 2003. When I run Word, I get a warning that
macros are disabled. Because of this, I cannot insert equations.

I found a page in Help titled "Macro language support is disabled". It says
to run the Setup program again and check Office Shared Features, Visual Basic
for Applications. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and checked it
again. I also tried lowering the security level. Nothing is working. I do
not appear to be having the same proble with Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You would do better to create a new question rather than append yours to an
ancient thread.
If macros are disabled, you have the macro security (tools options
security) set to High. Set it to medium to get the opportunity to run macros
in documents. Be very sure what that macro does before running it, as macros
from third party sources can contain malicious code.