Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Default _Hlt Bookmark

I have a 150-pg. doc. in Word 2003 on Win. XP Professional, and it is
sporting a large number of _Hlt bookmarks (in addition to _Toc, _Ref, and
those I've created). I understand what the _Toc and _Ref bookmarks are, but
what is the _Hlt? I read something in a Google post that _Hlt may have to do
w/"flaky formatting"?

I should add that this doc. has large amounts of copied material; I've tried
to always paste as plain text & reformat, but occasionally forget. I use
styles and insert pictures, etc. quite religiously. In other words, I use the
tool correctly. Despite this, the file is a bit unstable. I Open and Repair
fairly often to try to keep it from completely blowing up. Sometimes it has
no repaired items, sometimes it does. It's based on a custom template
developed by someone else (but it's a pretty normal looking template).

So, back to my orig. question - what are _Hlt bookmarks/what do they signify?

Thanks much,
GMc
Phoenix
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

I have a 150-pg. doc. in Word 2003 on Win. XP Professional, and it is
sporting a large number of _Hlt bookmarks (in addition to _Toc, _Ref, and
those I've created). I understand what the _Toc and _Ref bookmarks are, but
what is the _Hlt? I read something in a Google post that _Hlt may have to do
w/"flaky formatting"?

I know I've seen this kind of bookmark before, but for the life of me I can't
remember what it's related to. I'm replying to let you know that someone has
read it, and to bring the post to the top so that other see it again. Maybe
that will trigger someone's memory...

FWIW, I don't think it has anything to do with "flaky formatting". If you have
a link to that Google post, I'd like to read the entire thread. That may ring
a bell.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I googled this issue when the message was originally posted, because I also
recalled previous discussion of it (but not the resolution). I couldn't find
anything except questions and speculation--no definitive answer--which is
why I didn't reply. It would definitely be nice if someone did know what
this type of bookmark means.

"Cindy M." wrote in message
Hi ?B?R01j?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Cindy,
The Google Group thread I read was under the heading "Creating Hidden
Bookmarks" in the Microsoft.Public.Word.VBA.General group
http://groups.google.com/group/micro....general?hl=en .

If you go to that group and search for "_Hlt" the discussion comes up. I
really don't think it sheds any light, but give it a try in case it helps you
remember something. :-)

Thx to you and Suzanne both for trying.
--
GMc
Phoenix

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi all

Cindy M. wrote:
I have a 150-pg. doc. in Word 2003 on Win. XP Professional, and it is
sporting a large number of _Hlt bookmarks (in addition to _Toc, _Ref, and
those I've created). I understand what the _Toc and _Ref bookmarks are, but
what is the _Hlt? I read something in a Google post that _Hlt may have to do
w/"flaky formatting"?

I know I've seen this kind of bookmark before, but for the life of me I can't
remember what it's related to. I'm replying to let you know that someone has
read it, and to bring the post to the top so that other see it again. Maybe
that will trigger someone's memory...

speculation
Copy | Paste, as Link from this document to something else (i.e.,
different Word document), so that Word can remember where it has copied
from (it somehow needs to if it is supposed to update the link in the
target)?
/speculation

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

The Google Group thread I read was under the heading "Creating Hidden
Bookmarks" in the Microsoft.Public.Word.VBA.General group
http://groups.google.com/group/micro....general?hl=en .

If you go to that group and search for "_Hlt" the discussion comes up. I
really don't think it sheds any light, but give it a try in case it helps you
remember something. :-)

You're right, it doesn't shed any more light... What kind of information follows
the Hlt? Text, or a bunch of numbers? (If it's text, the origin might be
something other than Word; bunch of numbers, then it's more likely internal)

Is there any kind of pattern where these bookmarks are located in the document /
what kinds of things they mark?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I have also noticed the _Hlt bookmarks from time to time. Today, I think I
found out when these bookmarks are added at least I found some operations
that create them. Below I have explained what I found:

When you click a hyperlink, e.g. in a TOC or in a cross-reference created
with the \h switch, a _Hlt bookmark is added to the document. The _Hlt
bookmark includes the character on which you clicked. If you click the first
character in a TOC, the _Hlt book-mark seems to include the entire paragraph
(this also happened a couple of times when clicking a tab leader).

After I found this system, I could create _Hlt bookmarks systematically.
And: Hlt could actually be an abbreviation of HyperLinkText or another
T-word.
All the _Hlt bookmarks seem to follow the syntax _Hlt+9 digits, e.g.
_Hlt154502671. The most recently added _Hlt bookmark seems to always have a
higher number than older bookmarks, regardless of where in the document the
hyperlink you click is found.

It may be by coincidence, but the first 5 digits in all the _Hlt bookmarks I
have seen during my test have been: 15450, i.e. all the bookmarks have been
named _Hlt15450XXXX.

Sometimes, when the first _Htl bookmark in a document is created, a second
book-mark, only one number higher and including the same text, has also been
created (i.e. 2 bookmarks to the same text the first time).

If you click exactly the same character in a link more than once, no
additional book-marks are added.

I have not been able to find any system in the last 4 digits of the bookmark
names. They seem to be created randomly and the numbers are not consecutive.

But I cannot find any good reason why the bookmarks are created and what
they can be used for. Why should anybody be interested in retrieving the spot
you clicked to follow a hyperlink?

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But I cannot find any good reason why the bookmarks are created and what
they can be used for. Why should anybody be interested in retrieving the

spot
you clicked to follow a hyperlink?

Could they be to facilitate a Shift+F5 (GoBack) return to the TOC? (Not that
this usually works, of course.)

"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

[...]

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

It seems likely that you are right. I can see that Shift+F5 at least
sometimes goes to a _Hlt bookmark.

However, since Shift+F5 (GoBack) should bring you to a previous editing
point, I would not expect the command to go to a place you just clicked
(Ctrl+click). I would never think of a click in a hyperlink as change to the
document.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We have an awful lot of requests from people to be able to go back to the
TOC when they have clicked on a TOC entry (or even to return to any place in
the document where they clicked on a hyperlink). While Shift+F5 usually
doesn't work for this, the Back button on the Web toolbar (or the Alt+Left
Arrow shortcut) will. All very mysterious!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

But I cannot find any good reason why the bookmarks are created and

what
they can be used for. Why should anybody be interested in retrieving

the
spot
you clicked to follow a hyperlink?

Could they be to facilitate a Shift+F5 (GoBack) return to the TOC? (Not

that
this usually works, of course.)

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

[...]

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17

2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Lene,

Thank you very much for sharing your observations. I've put a "keeper" on your
message :-)

I think Suzanne's surmise is probably correct, as far as these marking the "origin
point" of a hyperlink. I tried inserting a "plain" bookmark, then a hyperlink to
that. This also generated a _Hlt bookmark when I clicked that hyperlink.

On my installation, however, in all cases the bookmark seems to pick up only a single
character (rather than an entire paragraph) - the character I clicked on.

All "Web" interfaces have a "back" button that let you return to the previous place
you were reading. I suspect that these may be to support that?

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Lene

Lene Fredborg wrote:
It seems likely that you are right. I can see that Shift+F5 at least
sometimes goes to a _Hlt bookmark.

However, since Shift+F5 (GoBack) should bring you to a previous editing
point, I would not expect the command to go to a place you just clicked
(Ctrl+click). I would never think of a click in a hyperlink as change to the
document.

If it's a first-time click, then Word will change the character style
from "Hyperlink" to (IIRC) "Visited ...". In that light, well, it's a
change.

Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I did not have the Web toolbar in mind until Suzanne mentioned it. I have now
tried to test whether I could find a clear relationship between the _Hlt
bookmarks and the Back (Alt+Left Arrow) and Forward (Alt+Right Arrow)
commands on the Web toolbar.

Actually, the Back command _always_ seems to go back to the latest _Hlt
bookmarked location if Back is executed immediately after clicking a
hyperlink (the GoBack (Shift+F5) does _not always_ do the same)). And if you
select Back and Forward multiple times, they also seem to find the _Hlt
bookmarked places.

I have also noticed that a new _Hlt bookmark is added each time you select
Back or Forward. These _Hlt bookmarks are added to the position you click
regardless of whether it is a hyperlink or not. Also, Back and Forward seems
to be disabled until the first time you have followed a hyperlink in a
document.

So there absolutely seems to be a relationship between the _Hlt bookmarks
and the Back and Forward commands.

Further observations:
If you update all fields in a document, all the _Hlt bookmarks in the fields
are deleted which seems obvious since the fields are actually replaced by the
update (this also explains why the list of _Hlt bookmarks does not continue
to grow). _Hlt bookmarks outside fields will remain.

But the mystery is not solved yet:
If _all_ the _Hlt bookmarks are gone (due to field update or manual
deletion), and if the Back and Forward commands need the _Hlt bookmarks, the
Back and Forward commands should again be disabled until you have followed at
least one hyperlink. But the commands are not disabled! Most often (but not
consistently) the commands seem to be able to go to at least some previously
_Hlt bookmarked locations anyway.

So maybe the _Hlt bookmarks are just (or partly) reminiscence from the time
before the Back and Forward commands on the Web toolbar were introduced?

-------------------------
Some facts about the Back and Forward buttons on the Web toolbar:

The Back button executes the command WebGoBack
The Forward button executes the command WebGoForward

To find the commands, select Tools Customize. In the Categories list,
select All Commands. The commands can now be found in the Commands list.

During my check of commands I also found a built-in command named
GotoTableOfContents. The command selects the entire TOC (it only checks for
the first TOC in a document and it shows a message if no TOC is found). The
command seems to be an old WordBasic command - so even if I have only had the
chance to test the command in Word 2003, I think it will be found in several
older versions. When added to a toolbar, the command appears as an icon with
a page and an arrow pointing upwards.

--------------------------
Below you will find a macro that adds the Back, Forward and
GotoTableOfContents commands to the _start_ of the Standard toolbar and saves
the changes to Normal.dot (change the value of Before to add the commands
in another position on the toolbar):

Sub AddGotoButtonsToStandardToolbar()

CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate

'ID 6114 = GotoTableOfContents
'ID 1018 = WebGoForward
'ID 1017 = WebGoBack

With CommandBars("Standard").Controls
.Add msoControlButton, ID:=6114, Befo=1
.Add msoControlButton, ID:=1018, Befo=1
.Add msoControlButton, ID:=1017, Befo=1
End With

NormalTemplate.Save

End Sub
--------------------------
If you want the GotoTableOfContents command to _position the insertion point
in the start of the TOC_ instead of selecting the entire TOC, you may copy
the following macro to your Normal.dot. If you keep the macro name unchanged,
the macro will run instead of the built-in Goto-TableOfContents command.

Sub GotoTableOfContents()
First exectue the built in GotoTableOfContents command
WordBasic.GotoTableOfContents

'Then collapse the selection in start of TOC
Selection.Collapse (wdCollapseStart)
End Sub

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R01j?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Well, I got away from this thread due to moving, holidays, work, etc. (Only
took me 2 months to get back to it...) I am amazed at the info you uncovered,
Lena.

A belated thank you very much for sharing! And thanks to everyone else for
their comments, too.

--
GMc
Phoenix

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Welcome back and thank you for the feedback.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg