Serenity2u

Default page margin view

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly, although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?
Shauna Kelly

Hi Serenity2u

See:
Elusive White Space (Where did my header and footer go?)
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/WhiteSpace.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Serenity2u" wrote in message
I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly,
although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

mwcmax99

I'm having this same problem! However, I did not find a solution or an answer
in any of the replies to this post. Please help!

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly, although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

Daiya Mitchell

See he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

mwcmax99

Hi. The page isn't separated by a white line. Instead of the top of my page
beginning at the 2" mark (w/ top margin being set at 1"), the cursor is at
the very top of the page, just underneath the ruler. There's no headspace.
However, if I look at page preview, or if I print the document, it looks
correct and it prints at the 1" mark. It's just hard trying to type a
document with the cursor beign just underneat the ruler.

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly, although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Did you look at the referenced article? If you can't be bothered to do that,
go to Tools | Options | View, and check the box for "White space between
pages."

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly,

although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing

at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Daiya Mitchell

Did you even click on the link? It doesn't suggest there's a white line
between your pages. WhiteSpace refers to the white space having vanished.
There's a picture to illustrate, and everything you describe sounds like
that link gives you the fix. So you will have to read the link and say how
your situation is different if that link doesn't fix it.

Alternatively, made sure View is not set to Normal.

You can see the text you are typing, right? It's just that you can't see
where the top margin should be?

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly,
although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

mwcmax99

Yes, I read the referenced article, and then I re-read it. If I do as the
article suggests, I get a dotted-looking line around the margins in the
document. This is not what I want. I want the document to appear as it
normally would as if you had hit "new document" and a new window appears. I
have noticed that on previous documents, the ruler on the left side of the
page shows a small blue horizontal bar at the number 1 from the top of the
ruler down to where the top margin (or top line of the document begins).
There is no blue line in the new documents, all you can see is a little blue
speck. I've tried to drag this down, but nothing moves. Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly,

although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing

at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

mwcmax99

Yes, I've clicked on the link & read the article several times. The article
reads "...The reason for this is a new feature added in Word 2002 that allows
users to hide the "white space" between pages. This option may be toggled on
the View tab of Tools | Options, as shown in Figure 2." Which to me suggests
that this problem has to do w/ a multipage document. Whenever I click for a
blank document, there is only 1 page, so I'm not missing a white line between
pages. I am typing in print layout view, zoom is set to page width (have
tried text width, whole page width, etc.) with the same result. Thanks
anways, I figure it out, I'll post the answer.

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly,
although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

Daiya Mitchell

Did following the article bring back your margins? Does the first
illustration in the article adequately display what is happening on your
computer?

Try unchecking "text boundaries" in the same location, Tools | Options,
View, re the dotted line.

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly,

although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing

at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

I think you must have checked the wrong box. It sounds as if you checked the
box for "Text boundaries" instead of "White space between pages."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you look at the referenced article? If you can't be bothered to do

that,
go to Tools | Options | View, and check the box for "White space between
pages."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document.

Suddenly,
although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is

appearing
at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you

help?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeves Jeves is offline

I have exactly the same problem. It is random and annoying. To fix I went
into page layout and just reselected the same things and it fixed, but it is
temporary. Any permanent fix out there?

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document. Suddenly, although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Serenity2u" wrote:

I am working in the Print Layout view of a Word document.

Suddenly, although
the top margin is set at 1", the first line of my text is

appearing at the
very,very top of the screen with no visible margin. Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rico Rico is offline

Working with 2007, you need to double click the double white arrows at the
top this will reset the white space at the top