Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
powerbythehour powerbythehour is offline

Default Cannot open .docx email attachments

I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open .docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the zip file
is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a document there. 2) I
can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or transferred via any medium
besides email (ie CD or flash).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dumbguy dumbguy is offline

I forgot to mention, I cannot right-click and save the document either and I
am not getting to email on my outlook 2007 but a webmail account.

Also don't get an error message as in other postings.

--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

"powerbythehour" wrote:

I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open .docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the zip file
is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a document there. 2) I
can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or transferred via any medium
besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It has never been good practice to open attachments directly from e-mail,
and my first recommendation would be to save the attachments to the hard
drive. However the issue is undoubtedly related to the way your system
handles compressed formats like docx. Docx is in fact a zip file containing
XML elements and if renamed to have a zip extension behaves exactly like a
zip file (some zip tools like WinRAR can open it as it stands). Check your
file associations in respect of docx to see which zip function is activated
in preference to Word 2007. - http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm
*may* help with that.

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open .docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dumbguy dumbguy is offline

Graham,

It will not allow me to save the attachment on the harddrive, goes straight
into the zip format.

The office suite allows me to open excell and PPT sent in 2007 but the word
won't. I don't have trouble with a .docx file already saved to the harddrive
just the ones sent via email.

PS I am also the powerbythehour (ie orginal poster) must have been a while
since I last posted.

I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open .docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file.
1) After the zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there.
2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).
3) I cannot right-click and save the document either
4) I am not getting the email on my outlook 2007 but a webmail account.

--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open .docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dumbguy dumbguy is offline

It won't let you rename the file, it opens in an temp folder and then it
stays "in use" or you cannot find the temp folder (I have my folders unhidden)

--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open .docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Rename it while it's sitting in its folder -- click the name once to
highlight it, then click it a second time and the highlighting becomes
darker, then you can click inside the name and add/subtract letters
from the name. Just be careful not to double-click it.

"dumbguy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But this can't be done while the file is open or "in use."

http://word.mvps.org

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you double-clicking on the attachment? Have you tried right-clicking on
it and choosing Save As?

http://word.mvps.org

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dumbguy dumbguy is offline

It won't let you save as it just autosaves. It only happens with the .docx
attachments, no problems w/ any of the other Office 2007 suites or any of my
created, saved, or otherwise imported .docx devises.

--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What happens when you right-click on the attachment in the email header? For
example, if I receive a message with an attachment in Outlook Express, when
I open the message, there is a field in the header labeled "Attach." If I
right-click on the filename in that field, I get a menu saying Open, Print,
Save As...

What mail client are you using?

http://word.mvps.org

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After
the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive
or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dumbguy dumbguy is offline

Well I'm not sure, its the webmail from Army. But a little process, I had
the office 2007 compatiblity viewer installed and removed it. Now I can
right click and "save as" and it will allow either to save as a compressed
file or all files. Then I have to rename and include the .docx extention to
have to document save as a .docx file. Obviously a bug in the system.

I don't have a problem with a .docx sent via hotmail to hotmail or from army
to hotmail.

I even tried to email hotmail to army; army to army but I cannot open
directly.

--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After
the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive
or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess this is something you'll have to address with whoever provides the
army webmail.

http://word.mvps.org

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot
open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1)
After
the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the
harddrive
or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dumbguy dumbguy is offline

Not going to mention it, check another reason why MS "is only getting better"
with each "upgrade".
--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot
open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1)
After
the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the
harddrive
or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

On this occasion, it's hardly Microsoft's fault that your army e-mail system
cannot handle compressed document formats properly. Word 2007 has been
around for several years and the new document format is here to stay. Maybe
it's time someone woke up your army IT support to the fact?

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot
open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1)
After
the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there
isn't a document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on
the harddrive
or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tchallenger tchallenger is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. *I cannot
open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. *1)
After
the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a
document there. 2) I can open .docx files saved on the
harddrive
or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash)..

We have found that some browsers running some email systems will
replace the .docx extension with the .zip extension. You are correct
that unzipping does not work. But if you save the "zip" to your
desktop, and just rename it back to .docx then it should open normally.