Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rockhammer rockhammer is offline

Default how to aligh footer content in word 2007

I've defined the page margins to 0.5" for top, bottom, left & right.

I'm trying to set up my footer to align to that but can't. In my footer I
want filename aligned to the left margin, page x of y in the middle (centred)
and date & time aligned to the right margin. But the positioning of the
latter two are off. The centre one is off centre and the end of the date &
time is easily 1" from the right edge of the page. In 2007 there is no
longer the tab alignment thing up top.

Your help much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sure there's still a ruler at the top (unless you have the display of
the ruler turned off for some other reason). But even if you don't see
the ruler, you can open the Format Tabs panel (when your cursor is
in a footer) and set them by typing numbers for their positions.

On Oct 23, 5:00*pm, rockhammer
wrote:
I've defined the page margins to 0.5" for top, bottom, left & right.

I'm trying to set up my footer to align to that but can't. In my footer I
want filename aligned to the left margin, page x of y in the middle (centred)
and date & *time aligned to the right margin. But the positioning of the
latter two are off. The centre one is off centre and the end of the date &
time is easily 1" from the right edge of the page. In 2007 there is no
longer the tab alignment thing up top.

Your help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

On Oct 23, 5:00*pm, rockhammer
wrote:
I've defined the page margins to 0.5" for top, bottom, left & right.

I'm trying to set up my footer to align to that but can't. In my footer I
want filename aligned to the left margin, page x of y in the middle (centred)
and date & *time aligned to the right margin. But the positioning of the
latter two are off. The centre one is off centre and the end of the date &
time is easily 1" from the right edge of the page. In 2007 there is no
longer the tab alignment thing up top.

Your help much appreciated.

Rockhammer,

Mr. Daniels is a dilettante that knows just enough about Word to be
dangerous. Whenever he learns anything new he like to play like he
has a secret and doesn't want to share.

If you ruler is not displayed then you can display it by one of
several ways. Click the View TabShow/HideRuler or click the View
Ruler toggle that is at the top of the vertical scrool bar.

With the ruler displayed you can drag the center and right aligned tab
to the appropriate position.

Good luck.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Oct 23, 6:28*pm, Greg Maxey wrote:
On Oct 23, 5:00*pm, rockhammer
wrote:

[...]

CDR (USN Ret) Mini-Maxey is a monomaniac stalker who has nothing
better to do with his time than monitor my every posting to this
newsgroup and repeat my advice, prefaced with an insult.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

wrote:

[...]

You are foaming at the mouth again Mr. Daniels. Are you blind as well as
arrogant? Can't you read your own post? You offered no advice
related to displaying the ruler. Since Rockhammer went to the trouble of
mentioning it he might appreciate the tip on how to display it. Or did you
want to "force" him to come back and ask? As for insults, you reap what you
sow. Why don't you crawl back under your bridge and enjoy your harvest.

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Commander" Mini-Max, so desperate for something to command, if
rockhammer chose to hide his rulers, he already knows how to unhide
them.

wrote:

[...]

for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Mr. Daniels,

Wasn't it you who recently sounded the alarm concerning the hazards of
assumptions? Then I think you had assumed to understand track move
behavior. Not surprisingly, you didn't understand and so you went back
under your bridge to lick your wounds and dine on another crow sandwich.

I suppose it is the unbridled arrogance, but you always want to assume to
know what other people already know or don't know and what other people
really mean. Did you ever consider that Mr. Rockhammer may have hidden his
rule unintentionally? That he doesn't know when or how it was hidden or
that he may not remember ever seeing it in the first place? No of course
you didn't. That would require a small amount of human fallibility on Mr.
Rockhammer's part. As you, in your own oversized head, are infallible, you
simply assume your superiority over other people and treat them as
imbeciles.

If he doesn't know how it was hidden then it may not be obvious to him how
to to show it. Assisting doesn't hurt. Or does it?

Have a nice day Mr. Daniels. Don't forget to wear your bib today. The
drool may ruin your shirt.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As you've noticed, the "center" position of the center-aligned tab stop and
the "right' position of the right-aligned tab stop are set for the default
1" margins. There are two ways you can correct this.

1. Move the tab stops to the correct position. You can do this either
through the Tabs dialog or using the ruler. It appears that you don't have
your ruler displayed, so select the View tab and check the box for Ruler in
the Show/Hide group.

2. Use alignment tabs. These will ensure that your tabs maintain their
relative position even if the margins are changed. When you are in the
footer and the Header & Footer Tools | Design tab is displayed, look at the
Position group of the tab. The bottom button is Insert Alignment Tab. This
button doesn't actually insert a tab stop but instead positions the cursor
at the center or right of the margin width, irrespective of existing tab
stops (which you can leave, move, or remove). You can actually use these
anywhere, not just in the header and footer, but to do so you would have to
add a button to the QAT to access the dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"rockhammer" wrote in message
I've defined the page margins to 0.5" for top, bottom, left & right.

I'm trying to set up my footer to align to that but can't. In my footer I
want filename aligned to the left margin, page x of y in the middle
(centred)
and date & time aligned to the right margin. But the positioning of the
latter two are off. The centre one is off centre and the end of the date &
time is easily 1" from the right edge of the page. In 2007 there is no
longer the tab alignment thing up top.

Your help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But note that alignment tabs are not supported in earlier versions than Word
2007, which means that backwards compatibility (if that is required) is not
guaranteed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

&
time is easily 1" from the right edge of the page. In 2007 there is no
longer the tab alignment thing up top.

Your help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I started to point that out but then figured that at least the tab positions
would be converted to a hard tab stop--wouldn't adjust if the margins
changed but should at least be correct for the present margins? But I
haven't tested this.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

He didn't complain that his rulers were missing from his text, did he.

Try reading for _content_ and _context_ rather than, as you always do,
only for the specific question asked, where a more sensitive reader
can intuit what's actually going on from what is unsaid.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm sure you are right (I haven't tested it either). But knowing that the
tab stops won't automatically adjust if the margins are changed again may
still be helpful to the OP.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course, by default Word 2007 will warn about loss of formatting when
saving in an older file format.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Mr. Daniels,

He didn't "complain" about anything. He asked a perfectly legitimate
question about tab alignment which you answered in your typically smug,
arrogant manner.

Good day!