Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BETTY S. BETTY S. is offline

Default HOW CAN I MAKE CHANGES TO A PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL?

I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard in AZ Richard in AZ is offline

"BETTY S." BETTY wrote in message
I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

First, stop writing in all caps. That is considered shouting and impolite.
Second, without 3rd party software, you cannot edit or change a PDF file.
There are some 3rd party PDF program that are share-ware or even free-ware, but most of the
effective ones you have to buy.
Of course if you read the HELP section of your PDF reader software, there is a way to highlight the
text and copy it. Then you can paste it into another word processor and edit it there.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I've yet to see any freeware that allows you to make changes to a .pdf file.
Create them, yet, but not edit.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Richard in AZ" wrote in message

"BETTY S." BETTY wrote in message
I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY
CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET
ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

First, stop writing in all caps. That is considered shouting and
impolite.
Second, without 3rd party software, you cannot edit or change a PDF file.
There are some 3rd party PDF program that are share-ware or even
free-ware, but most of the effective ones you have to buy.
Of course if you read the HELP section of your PDF reader software, there
is a way to highlight the text and copy it. Then you can paste it into
another word processor and edit it there.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
axe1 axe1 is offline

"BETTY S." wrote:

I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello Axe/Betty

axe1 wrote:
"BETTY S." wrote:

I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

not really a Word question, but: when you open the file from your email,
what application is opening (top left of the window)?

Most probably this is Adobe Reader, and there, you cannot do much at all
in terms of editing or converting the file.

You'd need the full Acrobat, or some freeware softwar that can edit
(rarely satisfactory job unless you know a great deal about how the
original PDF has been made) or convert the PDF (say, to RTF, to be
opened up in Word).

PDFs in general are not meant to be edited. Sending your remarks to the
person who sent you the file, so he can edit his original source, would
be the best approach (or ask him to send you a format you may edit).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila W Sheila W is offline

Hi, Betty S.

PDF files are read-only. With some online converter like
http://www.zamzar.com. You convert it to word and then edit in word. However
as you what you said, you can only view but you can not change the pdf. Maybe
your pdf was encrypted. I have the same problem before, after a long time of
search work in google. I found this one, anybizsoft pdf to word converter.
Which can support extracting content from pdf files.
Here is the link:
http://www.anypdftools.com/pdf-to-word.html#153

I have seen that someone recommended adobe acrobat. It is much too expensive
for normal use. The one I mentioned and used is much cheaper, under 30 bucks.

"Robert M. Franz [RMF]" wrote:

Hello Axe/Betty

axe1 wrote:
"BETTY S." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tinatina Tinatina is offline

On Mar 14 2007, 2:14 am, BETTY S. BETTY
wrote:
I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

I think this tip can help you convert PDF to other editable format
free:
http://www.allpdftools.com/pdf-tips/...es-to-pdf.html
Good Luck!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John V John V is offline

Some Viewers/Readers will allow you to add content to an existing file
allowing you to 'mimick' editing, for example the PDF-XChange Viewer (even
the 'FREE' Version) will allow you to type on a PDF, add annotations etc and
place a text box over content - so you could effectively 'white out' the
offending content and alternate content over the top.

Try the free PDF-XChange Viewer here :
www.docu-track.com

But note - if the author of the document has secured the PDF file and does
not allow changes - unless you use some product that will 'crack' the authors
protection policy embedded in the file - then again - you will not be able to
make changes - using any reputable PDF product that honours such things as
copyright etc.

John V
Tracker

"BETTY S." wrote:

I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RickRick RickRick is offline

"BETTY S." wrote:

I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"BETTY S." wrote:

I CAN OPEN THE PDF FILE THAT CAME INTO MY EMAIL BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANY CHANGES
TO IT. CAN I SAVE IT TO ANOTHER TYPE FILE AND MAKE CHANGES. PLEASE LET ME
KNOW. ALL I FOUND WAS INFO ON HAVING TO BUY SOME KIND OF SOFTWARE.

Not sure if this would help download full version of acobat 30 day trail
using email address or use this method

PDF to Word Converter 2.5.3 The Best Free Desktop PDF to Word Converter

at this web site
http://www.anypdftools.com/pdf-to-word.html

worked for me

best of luck