Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brightspark240 Brightspark240 is offline

Default Outlook express spell checker

I have recently installed the full office 2007 suite and the plug in for
outlook express spell checker always wants to check the spelling in french. I
have browsed the internet and seen that this is not an isolated problem but
have been unable to find any mention of any cure. can anyone help with this
please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

I have installed Office 2007 Pro and do not have this problem. Make sure you
have only English selected for Outlook Express, try this:
a.. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then select the Spelling tab. In
the dialogue box select English only.
John

"Brightspark240" wrote in message
I have recently installed the full office 2007 suite and the plug in for
outlook express spell checker always wants to check the spelling in
french. I
have browsed the internet and seen that this is not an isolated problem
but
have been unable to find any mention of any cure. can anyone help with
this
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Office 2007 proofing tools are not available to Outlook Express, which
will be relying on the proofing tools from a previous version, so be sure
that the language is set correctly in that version (e.g., Start | Programs |
Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office 2003 Language
Settings).

"John Butler" wrote in message
I have installed Office 2007 Pro and do not have this problem. Make sure

you
have only English selected for Outlook Express, try this:
a.. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then select the Spelling tab. In
the dialogue box select English only.
John

"Brightspark240" wrote in

message
I have recently installed the full office 2007 suite and the plug in for
outlook express spell checker always wants to check the spelling in
french. I
have browsed the internet and seen that this is not an isolated problem
but
have been unable to find any mention of any cure. can anyone help with
this
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Hi Suzanne

I am sorry to argue with you, but I guess your advice is obsolete. In my
system I have removed Outlook 2003 and installed Office 2007 Pro without
Outlook 2007. The language tools in Control Panel bring up Office 2007 and
in Outlook Express I have configured the language exactly as I said in my

I have Office 2007 Pro Retail ( 81605.902.2099573.65195 multi language
version)

Can you explain the confusion: perhaps because I did formerly have Office
2003?

John

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The Office 2007 proofing tools are not available to Outlook Express, which
will be relying on the proofing tools from a previous version, so be sure
that the language is set correctly in that version (e.g., Start | Programs

Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office 2003 Language
Settings).

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Office 2007 uses a new version of the proofing tools that OE cannot
understand, so it is necessary to reinstall an earlier version or some
substitute (third-party add-ins are available). See
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm for a source similar
to the one where I got my information. See also
http://www.mcse.ms/message2350043.html and
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4fe3f6d258&p=1,
which has a link to http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Suzanne

But ....I KNOW that it works because I am using it. I did install the full
Office 2007 over a working version of 2003. The upgrade retained a number of
files from the 2003 installation, including the word custom dictionary which
is still access OK from Outlook Express.
I attac h screenshot which shows this

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to my reply; it doesn't matter what options you have selected for
Spelling in OE if there is no appropriate .lex file to back them up. It
sounds as if Custom.dic as been retained, but that is a user file, not part
of the proofing tools themselves. Finally, you write, "I KNOW that it works
because I am using it." If it were working, you would presumably not have
posted the question.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Dear Suzanne

I did not post the question. I contributed information for Brightspark who
posted it.
I can spell check in French as well.

You are really rather arrogant.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill (St. Jude) Bill (St. Jude) is offline

May I join in please?
I too have installed Office 2007 (Home & Student version). When I try to
spellcheck in Outlook Express I get the message "An error occurred while the
spelling was being checked". I assume this is a similar problem. Before
installing Office 2007 I took the precaution of copying all the files from
Office 2003. So which file do I need to find and where do I need to copy it
to? Help appreciated.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Moreover, from the source you site I would expect that those who upgrade
from Outlook 2003 will not have problems.
"It's easy to fix: install just the proofing tools from your previous
version of Office (using the custom install option). You can get them from
any older Office suite or application - including FrontPage, Publisher or
standalone versions of Word, Excel, or Outlook."

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Bill,
See my post to the mighty Suzanne earlier.
Use the custom install from Outlook 2003 to install just the proofing tools.
John

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnw johnw is offline

I too had the "French" problem, but have solved it. I installed the proofing
tools from my copy of Office XP student edition. Now all works just fine.
Check out this link:

"John Butler" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Butler John Butler is offline

Johnw

Thanks

As one of your links says
.........................you won't run into this problem if:
a.. You upgrade from Office 2003 or earlier to Office 2007 RTM and you don't
manually uninstall the earlier version of Office.
b.. A configuration in which Office 2003 (or earlier) has not been
removed.

The irst case is mine.

I Suzzane S. Barhill Microsoft MVP (Word)
had taken note she would not have gone on giveing out bad advice!
John

"John Butler" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CGR CGR is offline

It must be me . . . there must be a simple answer . . . My new Office Home
and Student 2007 (clean installation) only has a French dictionary. How do
I get back into English? Please, and thank you.

Charles

--
FinancialWorkshops done right

"John Butler" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi C.G.R.,

No, it's not you, it's a change in the programs.

MS Outlook Express is part of the MS Internet Explorer product. The IE team chose not to update it to use the newer English
language proofing tools from Office 2007. You can add 3rd party spellers. Folks have reported success with either of these.

A. Vampirefo Spellchecker for Outlook Express:
http://geocities.com/vampirefo/

B. Tinyspell:
http://tinyspell.m6.net

As an alternative you can do a custom installation of an older Office/Word version choosing to install only the proofing tools
(although quite a bit of the core Office version files may be installed and you may then receive requests to install the updates for
all of the prior Office version as well as Office 2007.

"CGR" wrote in message ...
It must be me . . . there must be a simple answer . . . My new Office Home
and Student 2007 (clean installation) only has a French dictionary. How do
I get back into English? Please, and thank you.

Charles
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP