Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ross Payne Ross Payne is offline

Default Section Pages in Footer

My Word 2003 document has seven sections. In the first three sections, in
the footer, I would like to have page x of y, where x is the current page
number and y is the page number of the first three sections. For example, if
sections 1, 2, and 3 comprise 19 pages, the second page would be page 2 of
19. Sections 4, 5, 6, and 7 would each have their own footer with only the
page numbers from the particular section being referenced. For example, if
section 6 has 3 pages, the second page footer would say page 2 of 3. I know
how to do link and unlink previous for footers, and I think I know how to do
sections 4-7 (i.e., referencing just the pages of that one section) but I'm
not sure about how to set up the page numbers how I want them in the first
three sections. Is there a way to do this? Thanks,

Ross Payne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Ross,

Put a bookmark on the last page of section 3, naming it something like
'LastPage'. In the footer for the first three sections, set up the
text and fields as

Page {PAGE} of {PAGEREF LastPage}

Be careful not to overwrite or delete the bookmark or to add more
pages between the bookmark and the end of the section.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman