Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve Steve is offline

Default Margins in Page View

Hello,

Ill try to be as straightforward as possible.

Im working with Word 2000 on Windows XP, and I use the A4 paper format. I
have my top, bottom and side margins set to 2.5cm. When I print out a page,
the result is a sheet of paper with the correct margins: 2.5cm all round. No
problems, everyones happy.

However, Ive just noticed the following: while in page view and in print
preview, the top margin is actually 3cm instead of 2.5cm. This makes a
difference when €˜printing to (or creating) pdf files. Whenever I hit €˜print
in order to make a pdf file from the Word document, the pdf file reproduces
the document exactly as it appears in page view/print preview. In other
words, the pdf file has a top margin of 3cm instead of the specified 2.5cm.

So, the question is the following: Why doesnt the top margin show up
properly in page view/print preview?

Im going to be doing a fair amount of €˜printing to pdf files, and Im
wondering if there is a way to get round this issue. Ive looked around, but
havent seen any answers.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is the paper format correctly set in File | Page Layout? Also, have you
looked at the paper format specified in your PDF software?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve Steve is offline

Hello Stefan,

And thanks for your respone.

The paper format (A4) is correctly set in Word, and the format is also
correctly specfiied in the PDF software.

It's very odd, but in page view and print preview the Word document does not
appear with the properly defined top margin. If I print directly to the
physical printer, it will print a physical copy with the top margin as it is
defined (2.5cm). However, the PDF creator will create a pdf file that
reproduces the Word document exactly as it appears in page view, i.e.,
wrongly, with a top margin of 3cm.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You could try asking about this issue in the
microsoft.public.word.printingfonts newsgroup instead. Alternatively,
ask in a forum about your PDF converter (assuming there is one).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP