Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rev Anderson Rev Anderson is offline

Default Word 2007 Header/Footer Format

I really miss the easy formatting of my Headers and Footers. I am trying to
get converted to Office 2007. But the changes in menus, procedures and Vista
sure make it challenging.

For my Footer in Word 2003 all I had to do was click on "center" and then
select "Insert Page x of x" and I was done. For my Header Text it was just
as easy. Click on "center" and put in the text.

In Word 2007it's like a nightmare to get the same Page Numbering layout. I
finally found the "center" command, but can not insert the "Page x of x" in
that spot. If I choose from the Gallery I have to completely reformat the
Text because it is the wrong size and is no longer centered.

Is there some way to set-up a simple Default centered "Page x of x" for my
Footers?

I have an even worse problem trying to center my Header Text. Word 2007
took my Tabs and reset them, only for the Header? I could not find a way to
change it back. So, I gave up and just used my Space bar to manually
re-center the Header Text.

Where do I find the Header Tab settings? I changed them for the document,
but that did not have any affect on the Header.

Thanks

--
Life is an adventure with God leading.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you just want Page X of Y centered, use Ctrl+E to center the entire
paragraph (no center tab needed). You should also be able to modify the
Header style as needed to reinstate tabs.

I agree that Word 2007 makes it more difficult to insert Page X of Y, but
here are two quick ways:

Method 1

1. Type "Page PAGE of NUMPAGES" (without the quotation marks).

2. Select PAGE and press Ctrl+F9. This converts the text to a PAGE field.

3. Repeat for NUMPAGES.

4. F9 to update.

Method 2

1. In the header, place the insertion point where you want Page X of Y.

2. On the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, click Page Number (in the
Header & Footer group) to open the menu.

3. Choose Current Position.

4. Choose Page X of Y from the gallery.

There are two gotchas to this, one good, one bad: Although the gallery
claims "Bold Numbers," they won't be if you use "Current Position." Although
you've chosen "Current Position," it won't be but in fact will be in a
separate paragraph; you'll have to reposition the number and delete the now
excess header paragraph.

For a third method that will get the best of both worlds, do this:

1. Insert Page X of Y using Method 1.

2. Select just the Page X of Y text, carefully excluding the paragraph mark
(display nonprinting characters so you can see it).

3. Press Alt+F3 to open the Create New Building Block dialog.

4. Change the name of the Building Block if desired (by default it will be
Page 1 of 1).

5. Change the Gallery to Page Numbers.

6. Make sure that "Insert content only" is selected for "Options."

7. If you leave the category as "Simple," when you go to insert a page
number, your saved Page X of Y building block will be listed at the top.
Alternatively, you can change the category to "Page X of Y."

http://word.mvps.org

"Rev Anderson" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ande Ande is offline

Thank you for the answer. It feels like we are going in the wrong direction
when something as simple as this gets so convoluted.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't disagree. I think the implementation of AutoText was massively
bungled in Word 2007. I appreciate what the new Building Blocks are meant to
accomplish, but I don't believe the people who designed them understood the
way we were already using (and depending on) AutoText entries.

http://word.mvps.org

news