Dick Watson

Default Controlling the page break in a table row

Is there a way besides creating two rows and dividing each cell in the row
to a top and bottom portion to control where a page break falls across the
middle of a row in a table?

Insert|Break|Page Break goes in before the whole row. Format paragraph|Line
and Page Breaks|Keep with next, Keep lines together, and Page break before,
applied to paragraphs in the cells, are just ignored, as near as I can tell.

Thanks in advance!

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:28:57 -0700, "Dick Watson"
wrote:

Is there a way besides creating two rows and dividing each cell in the row
to a top and bottom portion to control where a page break falls across the
middle of a row in a table?

Insert|Break|Page Break goes in before the whole row. Format paragraph|Line
and Page Breaks|Keep with next, Keep lines together, and Page break before,
applied to paragraphs in the cells, are just ignored, as near as I can tell.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Dick,

As you've discovered, if you allow a row to break across pages at all,
you can't control where within the row the break will fall.

See the articles at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...bleOn1Page.htm and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ksInTables.htm
for the collected wisdom.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Dick Watson

The second reference seems to suggest that Page Break Before can control
what row the break occurs at. I cannot duplicate this behavior, even with
Page Break Before at the same line in each column in the row I want to break
gracefully. Am I doing something wrong or did I read it wrong?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
See the articles at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...bleOn1Page.htm and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ksInTables.htm
for the collected wisdom.

TF

Dick

I haven't read the article so you may have misread it. However, I can
confirm that it isn't possible to control where the break occurs if you have
selected 'Allow Row to Break across Page'. The only workaround I know is to
deselect that option for this particular table and then manually insert a
PageBreakBefore at the appropriate break point you need.

Terry

"Dick Watson" wrote in
message ...
: The second reference seems to suggest that Page Break Before can control
: what row the break occurs at. I cannot duplicate this behavior, even with
: Page Break Before at the same line in each column in the row I want to
break
: gracefully. Am I doing something wrong or did I read it wrong?
:
: "Jay Freedman" wrote in message
: ...
: See the articles at
: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...bleOn1Page.htm and
: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ksInTables.htm
: for the collected wisdom.
:
:

Dick Watson

Sorry, I still don't get it.

I have a one row table with three columns. Each cell is chock full of
paragraphs. (Actually, it's three columns of console text output from three
time-correlated test shell sessions.) I want to put the break before a
logically grouped section of the output. I made sure to clear the Allow Row
to Break setting for the row. I set the paragraph at the 52nd line in each
cell to Page Break Before. Result: a truncated table and no second page. The
Page Break Before directives are just ignored. Note that the whole table is
already, by definition, starting its own page since it's in a new page
section that has a different paper type/orientation.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
I haven't read the article so you may have misread it. However, I can
confirm that it isn't possible to control where the break occurs if you
have
selected 'Allow Row to Break across Page'. The only workaround I know is
deselect that option for this particular table and then manually insert a
PageBreakBefore at the appropriate break point you need.

Dick Watson

This matches my experience. I guess breaking the row into two is the only
way. Thanks for confirming this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
"Page break before" applies to the row. There is no way to control where a
row breaks once you have allowed it to break.

Yes, I would advise breaking the row at logical break points. This is best,
anyway, since Word is not happy with long single-row tables.

"Dick Watson" wrote in
message ...
This matches my experience. I guess breaking the row into two is the only
way. Thanks for confirming this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
"Page break before" applies to the row. There is no way to control where

row breaks once you have allowed it to break.

How do I insert a page break before a table without inserting an . busyWP Tables 1 December 15th 04 04:41 PM
Odd page section break Jenny Page Layout 5 December 15th 04 08:05 AM
Page break a table ChrisB Tables 7 November 20th 04 04:49 PM
Finding/removing an "obascure" manual page break Fred Holmes Tables 2 November 5th 04 06:57 PM