Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DreamTek DreamTek is offline

Default STOP IMAGES MOVING TO PAGE 2!!! PLEASE HELP ME

I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want, PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps to
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi DreamTek,

Uncheck the 'Move with text' box on Format|Picture|Layout|Advanced|Position. No need for suicide (yet).

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"DreamTek" wrote in message ...
I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want, PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps to
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DreamTek DreamTek is offline

Thanks For the quick response I appreciate it.
I already have, Like I said I can write ontop of the images. everything
works perfect. until I get to the bottom of the page.
What I think is happening is when It gets to the end of the page it creates
page two but the problem is it moves all the images to page two and leaves
the text on page one.
I'm sure its something simple but I'm going mad trying to find it
Thanks again

"DreamTek" wrote in message ...
I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want, PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps to
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You're having those issues because you are using word processor, not a
desktop publishing program.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"DreamTek" wrote in message
I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want,
PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the
first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are the images in your header? See the recommendations on setting up
Letterhead he
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

A different approach may make the problem go away--it's not frequently
asked so I don't know of an easy solution.

Daiya

PS to JoAnn--I don't think *this* one calls for Publisher instead of
Word.

DreamTek wrote:
I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want, PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps to
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi DreamTek,

It sounds like maybe the images are anchored to a paragraph which is itself
being pushed onto the next page.

Click on the paragraph mark button on the standard toolbar (or select
Tools/Options/View/Formatting marks/All) so that you can see the paragraph
marks and also see the image's anchor when you click an image. If the anchor
is at a paragraph that may be pushed onto the next page, drag the anchor to
one that won't.

Cheers.

Ed

"DreamTek" wrote:

I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want, PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps to
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DreamTek DreamTek is offline

ED you are a bloody genius, I cant thank you enough.
I knew the answer would be two clicks away, it always is; it's just finding
them.
I just have one image left now that I cant alter because the layout tab is
disabled in the object properties. I know you have the answer.

again
THANK YOU

"DreamTek" wrote:

I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want, PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps to
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hello again,

Glad the first problem is sorted.

Regarding the layout tab being disabled ... is it possible that the relevant
image is actually two or more images that have been grouped? If you
right-click the image and expand the Grouping menu, is the Ungroup menu item
enabled? If it is then that may be the source of the problem.

I think that when objects are grouped you can select the group as a whole or
you can select an element of the group. If you select only an element of the
group then I believe that various formatting options (such as the layout tab)
are disabled.

If there is a group involved, a single-click selects the group as a whole
but clicking one of the group elements after the group has been selected,
seems to de-select the group (for some purposes but not for all) and select
the element. In this situation the layout tab would be disabled. I'm using
word 2003 and when a group is selected the whole group shows with sizing
handles which are little white circles and when an element of the group is
selected the element has little grey circular handles with small x's.

If this is the situation that you've got, then make sure that when you bring
up the format dialog, the group is the thing selected, not one of the group
elements.

Hope this helps.

Ed

"DreamTek" wrote:

I have a letter head page with images on it, they are locked absolutely
anchored and dont move so I can right on them, which is what I want, PERFECT
right... NO. I get to type two thirds down the page and every image jumps to
page two. WHY WHy why? I have done everything it just wont stay on the first
page.
Why do Microsoft make me suffer like this?
Where is the check box that states untick here if you want to use Word
without committing suicide?
Please please help me, I have no hair left

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DreamTek DreamTek is offline

Thanks for the quick replies Ed.
There are only 3 images on my document and two of them are ok so I dont
believe its grouped. There are quite a few options disabled in the format
object dialog of the image and it doesn't display and anchor point like the
others, I can move it resize it. and I have just noticed that when i click on
images and text boxs I get the relevent options appear in the menu bar at the
top however on this one I get nothing so maybe its not being treated as an
image. I just dont know, there are to many variables and I just dont use word
enough.
By the way I'm using word 2007 so display and actions vary slighty but they
should still be there If I was using 2003 I would have probably sorted it by
now.
But enough griping and thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi DreamTek,

When you click on a 'floating' image (ie not in line with text), you should be able to see a little anchor that indicates what it's
attached to. Provided the anchor's not locked, you should be able to drag it up/down to a new location - to which you might want to
anchor it.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"DreamTek" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the quick replies Ed.
There are only 3 images on my document and two of them are ok so I dont
believe its grouped. There are quite a few options disabled in the format
object dialog of the image and it doesn't display and anchor point like the
others, I can move it resize it. and I have just noticed that when i click on
images and text boxs I get the relevent options appear in the menu bar at the
top however on this one I get nothing so maybe its not being treated as an
image. I just dont know, there are to many variables and I just dont use word
enough.
By the way I'm using word 2007 so display and actions vary slighty but they
should still be there If I was using 2003 I would have probably sorted it by
now.
But enough griping and thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DreamTek DreamTek is offline

Cheers Marcro but that's the problem it's not got an anchor like all the
other images which is why I think that object is not being treated as an image
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi again DreamTek,

Not sure if you're still looking for a fix for the layout tab problem; if
not just ignore this.

The fact that no anchor shows up when you click the image doesn't
necessarily mean that it's not an image; images can be in a Word document in
(at least) two ways - they can be in line with text or they can be
"floating". If an image is in line with text it behaves pretty much like an
ordinary character and it doesn't have an anchor, but if it's "floating" it
does have an anchor which anchors it to a particular paragraph. For useful
stuff on this have a look at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrawingGraphics.htm.

If you click a part of the document other than the image to ensure that it
is not selected and then right-click the image does the right-cick menu have
a "Format object" or "Format picture" (or some similar) option? And if you
select that option (having right-clicked the unselected image) is the layout
tab still unavailable?

I haven't quite given up yet on the idea that the image might be a group
(partly because it seems to fit the symptoms and partly because I can't think
of anything else which fits them). By "group" I don't mean that the image is
linked in some way to the other images - I mean that the problem image itself
consists of two or more images which have been grouped to form a unit. Once
images have been grouped you can drag them around and re-size them an so
forth as though they are a single item.

Just to confirm that I'm wrong about this - when you right-click the
unselected image, does the menu contain a Grouping option and if it does,
does the Grouping menu have an enabled Ungroup option? If it does what
happens when you choose that option? (If you're going to try this you might
want to do it on a copy of your document, not the original.)

If that doesn't lead to anything then can you tell us anything about the
image? E.g. do you know how it got into the document, can you describe it,
when you click it does it get surrounded by a border and if it does what does
the border look like? Also, what options fail to appear in the menu bar at
the top when you click the image?

Cheers.

Ed

"DreamTek" wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies Ed.
There are only 3 images on my document and two of them are ok so I dont
believe its grouped. There are quite a few options disabled in the format
object dialog of the image and it doesn't display and anchor point like the
others, I can move it resize it. and I have just noticed that when i click on
images and text boxs I get the relevent options appear in the menu bar at the
top however on this one I get nothing so maybe its not being treated as an
image. I just dont know, there are to many variables and I just dont use word
enough.
By the way I'm using word 2007 so display and actions vary slighty but they
should still be there If I was using 2003 I would have probably sorted it by
now.
But enough griping and thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Dreamtek13@msn.com is offline

Your very good at this Ed, I think your right. when I select nothing
then right click on the image an anchor pops up on the left and a text
box option appears on the menu bar but when i select an option they
disappear again. It is possible it has been grouped to a text box.
When I right click I get the following options (other than the norm)
insert caption, borders and shading, format object. I don't get an
order or group option.
When I choose format object I get colours and lines, size, layout
picture, text box and alt text,
The Text box tab is disabled.
The layout tab is accessible however all the options within it are
not.

Again I appreciate your continued help. Victory feels so close now.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi DreamTek,

It sounds like what you may have is an image inside a textbox. I can get
very similar effects if I paste a floating image inside a textbox which is
formatted as in line with text. (Maybe the textbox's border colour is set to
"no line" so you're not seeing it.)

In Word 2003, if I try to cut the image out of the textbox, both the image
and the textbox get cut to the clipboard, but if I use copy, I can copy just
the image and paste it somewhere in the document. Once I've done this the
pasted copy behaves normally and I can get at its layout options and stuff.

So you could try right-clicking somewhere inside the image and copying and
pasting it and then deleting the original. Or you could try right-clicking
the textbox (if there is one and you can locate a part of it which doesn't
include the image) and setting its layout to be other than in line with text.

Regards.

Ed

" wrote:

Your very good at this Ed, I think your right. when I select nothing
then right click on the image an anchor pops up on the left and a text
box option appears on the menu bar but when i select an option they
disappear again. It is possible it has been grouped to a text box.
When I right click I get the following options (other than the norm)
insert caption, borders and shading, format object. I don't get an
order or group option.
When I choose format object I get colours and lines, size, layout
picture, text box and alt text,
The Text box tab is disabled.
The layout tab is accessible however all the options within it are
not.

Again I appreciate your continued help. Victory feels so close now.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Dreamtek13@msn.com is offline

I Will just create a new image and new text box and fix them
separately.
It would of just been nice to know how to split these items. you
wouldn't think making a simple letter head would be so hard but this
is Microsoft software after all.

Your help however has been very much appreciated. I'd choose you over
the F1 help any and every day.

You have eased my stress

THANK YOU ALL

DreamTek
Tailored Fire and Security ltd
www.tfs-ltd.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi DreamTek,

You're welcome.

Regards.

Ed

" wrote:

I Will just create a new image and new text box and fix them
separately.
It would of just been nice to know how to split these items. you
wouldn't think making a simple letter head would be so hard but this
is Microsoft software after all.

Your help however has been very much appreciated. I'd choose you over
the F1 help any and every day.

You have eased my stress

THANK YOU ALL

DreamTek
Tailored Fire and Security ltd
www.tfs-ltd.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although the replies in this long thread may help you retain the position
you want, if the images are part of your letterhead, they really should be
in the First Page Header, in which case they would not be affected by any
text you place on the page. For more information about setting up a proper
letterhead, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm. If you
are unclear on how to anchor images to the header, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.