Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
#DIV/0 #DIV/0 is offline

Default REALLY automatic updating linked object

I have some Word templates whose headers and footers are separate linked Word
docs (I heard they're going to change the company logo some time before July
- this way I'm ready. Faxes, offers, invoices and other forms and documents
all use the same header/footer).

Whenever a new doc is created or an old one re-opened, Word asks if the
links should be updated to the contents of the external files.
In Edit|Link I have automatic selected rather than manual but if the user
gets a message requesting a click every time they open every single company
document that ain't very automatic.

How can I get rid of this annoyance and make the updating truly automatic
and (more importantly) transparent to the user ?

--
David M
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
#DIV/0 #DIV/0 is offline

Sorry. Using different keywords I now found some posts about this.
It looks as if it's something to do with fields and the security level and
may involve registry editing.
I have WinXP and Office2003 and some of these links refer to older versions
but I'll try 'em out . . . carefully.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330079

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

David M

"#DIV/0" wrote:

I have some Word templates whose headers and footers are separate linked Word
docs (I heard they're going to change the company logo some time before July
- this way I'm ready. Faxes, offers, invoices and other forms and documents
all use the same header/footer).

Whenever a new doc is created or an old one re-opened, Word asks if the
links should be updated to the contents of the external files.
In Edit|Link I have automatic selected rather than manual but if the user
gets a message requesting a click every time they open every single company
document that ain't very automatic.

How can I get rid of this annoyance and make the updating truly automatic
and (more importantly) transparent to the user ?

--
David M

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
#DIV/0 #DIV/0 is offline

This must look really sad - I'm spending the morning answering my own posts.
Next time I'll create a second user ID so at least I don't look so pathetic
AND I can even tell myself how grateful I am and gain kudos from my own
glowing praise. This is getting sadder by the minute so I'll just post my
solution to my problem.

Instead of editing the registry of all the PCs on the network (and maybe
forgetting to redo it after formatting or new machines bought in) I just
1. put this code in the "master" template that everyone's startup is already
linked to just to be sure that autoupdating is disabled

If Options.UpdateLinksAtOpen = True Then
Options.UpdateLinksAtOpen = False
End If

2. put this in the sub-templates (for faxes in Italian, invoices in German
etc.) so all new docs will update when created and also when re-opened later.

Private Sub Document_New()
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekCurrentPageHeader
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Fields.Update
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekCurrentPageFooter
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Fields.Update
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekMainDocument
End Sub

Private Sub Document_Open()
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekCurrentPageHeader
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Fields.Update
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekCurrentPageFooter
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Fields.Update
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekMainDocument
End Sub

Room for improvement ?: a better way to select the object.
Apart from that: Works for me! Well done! Thanks a million! What a great
coder you are! I think ... [20 repetitive lines removed by moderator: "that's
enough self-congratulations for one day"]

--
David M
WinXP - Office2003 (Italian)