Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackson

Default Notepad to Word Document

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60 days MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

What do you want someone to help you with? Convert a file to Word - which
you can't open? Give you money so you can afford the software? (Ain't gonna
happen.)

Office was a *trial* version. That means you get to sample it but you don't
get to keep it for free forever. It's a tough lesson to learn but it's
clearly marked trial.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"jackson" wrote in message
Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial
offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60 days
MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story
short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I
can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

If you have Office 2000 it should include Word 2000 which should be able to
open text files (i.e., NotePad). You may have to change the 'Files of Type'
to either Text Files or All Files in Word's Open File dialog box in order to
see them.

Even if you don't have Word 2000 your Windows XP Accessories include
WordPad, which should also be able to open the files.

As an aside, by your own admission you attempted to 'take advantage' of the
MS offer to "Try before you _buy_", but what you don't seem to realize is
that you attempted to take advantage of MS, period. How does the company's
effort to protect itself from what amounts to thievery make it the bad guy?

Regards |:)

"jackson" wrote:

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60 days MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackson

JoAnn,
Appreciate your reply but not the tone. Yes, I was looking for a suggestion
no I don't need anyone to give me money for the software,And does *trial*
REALLY mean I don't get to keep it, gee, what a surprise.
Judging from the tone of your answer and the title I would guess you are
someway "close" to MSFT, Now I understand where the level of support I got
from MSFT comes from.
Jackson
--
MS does it again

"jackson" wrote in message
Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial
offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60 days
MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story
short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I
can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackson

Cyber,
Thanks for the information it was very helpful. I understand your comment
about the need for Bill to make more money and as a Capitalist I agree. My
point was however that nowhere, was it mentioned that my files would be
changed, I would lose information I had , and for all intents and purposes I
would be "locked" out f my own files. Let me also add that when I tried to
contact MS with the problem I was passed from support tech to support tech.
Jackson
--
MS does it again

"jackson" wrote:

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60 days MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Interesting that you can read the "tone" of my voice. (Read that with a bit
of snippiness.)

I asked you some basic questions. You said help - but help with what aspect
of the problem? Some people post here asking for product codes, illegal
downloads, etc.

And we so A LOT of people who have the trial version and then want to sing
the blues when it expires. I'm sorry but if you're big enough to be using a
computer then you can read. And if you can read, you can see that it's a
*timed* trial.

And no, I'm not "close" to Microsoft. I have nothing to do with their tech
support whatsoever.
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"jackson" wrote in message
Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial
offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60
days
MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story
short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I
can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackson

JoAnn,
Here it is,
When MSFT Locked the trial it screwed up my machine, Windows 2000 ceased to
exist as I knew it. All of my Office suite dsappeared. MSFT was no help in
trying to get me back to pre - trial state. Got that so far?? I have relaoded
my original MSFT CDs but I cannot get Office to start. If you can offer a
suggestion , fine if not ........ I did not think you worked for MS tech
Support I was just making the the observation that your attitude was
remarkably like theirs. (Snippy)
Jackson
--
MS does it again

"jackson" wrote in message
Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial
offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60
days
MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story
short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I
can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Your files haven't been changed. They are still the files they always were.
It is only the file association in Windows that has changed. What you cannot
do any longer is open them with the expired trial version of Word. If you
installed the trial over Office 2000, then you will have to uninstall Office
(the trial) and reinstall Office 2000. Having Word 2000 present will reclaim
the DOC file association.

"jackson" wrote:

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the
trial offer to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new
Documents. After 60 days MS locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded
at a cost of $350 , long story short all of the documents created
in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I can't get them back to
word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Hi, Jackson. If you don't have a legit version of Word (not saying you
don't, but I don't understand whether you do or not), you can download
OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org for free and it'll open Word files. You
could also get the Word viewer:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/v...oft_office.htm
About re-associating your files:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"jackson" wrote:

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial
offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60
days MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story
short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I
can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackson

Graham,
Thank you for the suggestion, I did however unistall 2003 per MSFT's
instruction and reinstalled 2000 still no go
Jackson
--
MS does it again

"jackson" wrote:

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the
trial offer to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new
Documents. After 60 days MS locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded
at a cost of $350 , long story short all of the documents created
in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I can't get them back to
word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackson

Anne,
Thanks for the suggestion(I do have a legit version came on my dell,
actually corell came on the dell and I requested they change it out to to
MSFT which they did). Iwill give it a try.
Thanks again,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

"jackson" wrote:

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the trial
offer
to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new Documents. After 60
days MS
locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded at a cost of $350 , long story
short
all of the documents created in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I
can't
get them back to word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Office 2000 is installed, you may just need to reregister Word to get it
to reclaim the .doc file association. To do this, with Word closed, select
Start | Run and type

winword /r

then press Enter. Note that there is a space before the forward slash. You
may get a message that Word has been reregistered, or it may appear that
nothing has happened. But you should now be able to open .doc files by
double-clicking; even without doing this, you should be able to open .doc
files from Word's File Open dialog, as Word recognizes its own files
regardless of icon.

"jackson" wrote:

Hello,
I am runningWindows XP with Office 2000, I took advantage of the
trial offer to check out Office 2003 and did some work on new
Documents. After 60 days MS locked me out of 2003 unless I upgraded
at a cost of $350 , long story short all of the documents created
in office 2003 converted to Notepad and I can't get them back to
word format. Any help woul be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jackson
--
MS does it again

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jackson

Thanks very much for the suggestion Suzanne, I'll give it a shot, and let you
know if it worked out.
Jackson
--
"It''s Been a Slice"