Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Scott Scott is offline

Default Verical alignment in tables after multiple merge and splits

I use word tables to design fill-in forms. I usually start with a big tables,
and merge various cells in one row, and then perhaps split cells in the row
below. When I'm finished, I like to tidy up, and align "as much as possible"
the vertical columns.

If a column has been merged, resized, and split. It is often hard to
manipulate one column to lin e up with the column edge below or above. You
can get close, but only occassionally (with pure luck) does it line up
exactly. Often, I have to resort to inserting another row, and redoing the
row to make those edges line up.

Is there a way to finely manipulate cell vertical borders????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Or, snap one to the grid, then snap others to the same detent.

You can also use the table properties dialog for precise definition of
column width if dragging proves too onerously hit-and-miss.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
One thing that helps is pressing Alt to override the grid or snap-to.

so
all may benefit.

"Scott" wrote in message
I use word tables to design fill-in forms. I usually start with a big

tables,
and merge various cells in one row, and then perhaps split cells in the

row
below. When I'm finished, I like to tidy up, and align "as much as

possible"
the vertical columns.

If a column has been merged, resized, and split. It is often hard to
manipulate one column to lin e up with the column edge below or above.

You
can get close, but only occassionally (with pure luck) does it line up
exactly. Often, I have to resort to inserting another row, and redoing
the
row to make those edges line up.

Is there a way to finely manipulate cell vertical borders????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Scott Scott is offline

Thanks. How do you "snap one to the grid"?

I don't think I can define a column width as i my situation I simply want to
line up either the right or left edges. The column itself may be larger than
the row above, but, for example, I want the right hand edge to line up with
the right hand border of cell above.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When you drag a cell boundary, it will move in discrete steps (usually 1/8
inch, snapping into place) rather than smoothly. So, unless you press the
Alt key, it should be impossible to drag a boundary 1/16 inches, or 1/32
inches (unless a cell isn't on a 1/8 inch grid to begin with, in which case
you should be able to drag to the nearest 1/8 inch detent). It should move
only in 1/8 inch steps once a cell boundary is on a grid detent. By "snap
one to the grid," I mean to drag a cell boundary so that it snaps into
place. Once there, other cells should snap to the identical location when
you drag a boundary close to that one.

If they don't snap to the same 1/8 inch detent, then you will need to hold
down the Alt key for exact placement when dragging.

If you're using Word 2007, you can view the gridlines by clicking the
Gridlines option in the View ribbon tab.

In Word 2003 (and in some earlier versions), you can view gridlines by
displaying the Drawing toolbar, then clicking Draw - Grid, and checking
Display gridlines on screen.

--
"Scott" wrote in message
Thanks. How do you "snap one to the grid"?

I don't think I can define a column width as i my situation I simply want
line up either the right or left edges. The column itself may be larger
than
the row above, but, for example, I want the right hand edge to line up
with
the right hand border of cell above.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Select the whole cell you want to adjust the border of before trying to
adjust the border. If you have a cell or a vertical group of cells selected,
you can then drag the cell borders of just the selected cells. Make sure you
have the cell actually "selected"... clicking the insertion point into the
cell doesn't "select" the cell. Normally moving the cursor toward the left
edge of the cell, the cursor changes from a text cursor to an arrow cursor.
When the cursor is an arrow cursor, you can then click to select the cell.

Mike