Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
unfrostedpoptart unfrostedpoptart is offline

Default Links in Table of Contents not working right

Hi.

I have a question about tables of contents (using Word 2003). I have
a document that just inserts (via links/INCLUDETEXT) four other Word
docs, each of which have tens to hundreds of sections, each with a
level 4 header.

I inserted a table of contents at the beginning of the document, which
generated the field code {TOC \o "4-4" \h \z \u} , which seems to be
correct.

The strange thing is that when I ctrl-click an entry in the TOC,
instead of jumping to the part of the document with that heading,
Windows (XP Pro) opens an explorer window to the folder where the
documents are located.

If I display the field codes for some of the TOC entries, they look
like this:
{HYPERLINK \1 "_Toc165885966" }, with the number at the end varying.
I looked up the field codes for HYPERLINK and found this:

\l
Specifies a location in the file, such as a bookmark, where this
hyperlink will jump.

Help!

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This is just a guess: Is there a hyperlink base specified in the File |
Properties dialog box (Summary tab)? If so, clear it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"unfrostedpoptart" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

On May 4, 2:34 am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
[...]

Excellent - that was it! I had added the hyperlink base in order to
try and fix a problem I was having with INCLUDETEXT. I was pointed at
this article: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...textfields.htm
, which said to set it.

Thanks much,

David