Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nodules Nodules is offline

Default missing icons

I ran Windows Installer Utility Cleanup to get rid of a re-occuring
DocumentViewer.MSI error message. Now all Office files are no longer
associated with the appropriate icon. When I select a file that was
previously a Word document, it does not open. If I go to the Winword.exe
file and run Word I can open the document. If I start a new document and
save it, it also does not appear with the Word Icon and cannot be opened
without first running Winword and going to the file.

To top it off, I do not have the original disks for the computer to reload
Office. Any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Rioght-click on any Word document, choose Open With, choose Word or
browse to Word, choose it, and check the box "Always use this
application to open files with this extension" (or something like
that).

Reinstalling rarely accomplishes anything.

On Feb 22, 5:17*pm, Nodules wrote:
I ran Windows Installer Utility Cleanup to get rid of a re-occuring
DocumentViewer.MSI error message. *Now all Office files are no longer
associated with the appropriate icon. *When I select a file that was
previously a Word document, it does not open. *If I go to the Winword.exe
file and run Word I can open the document. *If I start a new document and
save it, it also does not appear with the Word Icon and cannot be opened
without first running Winword and going to the file. *

To top it off, I do not have the original disks for the computer to reload
Office. *Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Nodules" wrote in message
I ran Windows Installer Utility Cleanup to get rid of a re-occuring
DocumentViewer.MSI error message. Now all Office files are no longer
associated with the appropriate icon. When I select a file that was
previously a Word document, it does not open. If I go to the Winword.exe
file and run Word I can open the document. If I start a new document and
save it, it also does not appear with the Word Icon and cannot be opened
without first running Winword and going to the file.

To top it off, I do not have the original disks for the computer to reload
Office. Any thoughts?

My first thought is you should repair your Office installation. Who knows
what else the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility removed for Office. :-(

If during Office setup a Local Install Source (MOSCache) was created then
you should be able to repair your Office installation. If not, then the
Office installation CD may be required. I noted you said you no longer have
it so hopefully the suggestion 'grammatim' provided will be all you need to
do.

I'm not trying to worry you, but a potential corrupt installation is
something you may want to keep in mind should you encounter other Office
issues.

--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface: