SolarGuy

Default Can I set the backspace key Word 2005 to delete highlighted text?

Hi ! I'm now using MS Word 2005 on my workplace (Windows XP) computer. I
write alot. I have used MS Word for years on my Macintosh systems, and the
backspace key has always functioned to delete hightlighted text. It's a hard
habit to break. It's not working now, and it means my edited documents have
errors -- the text that I thought I deleted but didn't delete.

I may have inadvertantly turned this function off -- I got so frustrated
with the Autocorrect, autoformat, auto-mess-with-my document "features" that
I turned off all of it that I could find, and am now selectively adding back
the features that I understand and find useful. A small set. Can you help?
Jay Freedman

In Tools Options Edit, check "Typing replaces selection".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

SolarGuy wrote:
Hi ! I'm now using MS Word 2005 on my workplace (Windows XP)
computer. I write alot. I have used MS Word for years on my
Macintosh systems, and the backspace key has always functioned to
delete hightlighted text. It's a hard habit to break. It's not
working now, and it means my edited documents have errors -- the text
that I thought I deleted but didn't delete.

I may have inadvertantly turned this function off -- I got so
frustrated with the Autocorrect, autoformat, auto-mess-with-my
document "features" that I turned off all of it that I could find,
and am now selectively adding back the features that I understand and
find useful. A small set. Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lord Dax Lord Dax is offline

Default Can I set the backspace key Word 2005 to delete highlighted te

Thanx Jay,
I had same problem after installing Office XP Professional and now you've
solved something that really used to annoyed me!
Top man, thanks a million.
Dave (N.London, England)

SolarGuy wrote:
Hi ! I'm now using MS Word 2005 on my workplace (Windows XP)
computer. I write alot. I have used MS Word for years on my
Macintosh systems, and the backspace key has always functioned to
delete hightlighted text. It's a hard habit to break. It's not
working now, and it means my edited documents have errors -- the text
that I thought I deleted but didn't delete.

I may have inadvertantly turned this function off -- I got so
frustrated with the Autocorrect, autoformat, auto-mess-with-my
document "features" that I turned off all of it that I could find,
and am now selectively adding back the features that I understand and
find useful. A small set. Can you help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sure it is. Word options Advanced Editing options section.

PamC

Sharon D. wrote:
How does one do this in Word 2007, please? "Typing replaces selection" is
not an option.

In Tools Options Edit, check "Typing replaces selection".

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]