Connie Martin

Default Header changes with text outside of header

Word can do some fierce and wonderful things! I suppose there's a reason for
it all, but this one I can't figure out. I have text in a header, right
aligned, font size 8. I closed the header and typed text at the top of the
page, right aligned, and font size 14. The header font changed to 14 as
well. If I move the text to left-aligned, the header moves to left, as well.
What gives???

Connie Martin
Connie Martin

Guess I'll answer my own question. This was getting rather annoying because
even when I changed the body text to left aligned the header would left
align.
GRR-RR-RRR-RRRRRR! In Format/Style, I clicked on Header/Modify and removed
the check mark from "Automatically update". Why that was checked, I don't
know, but it seems to have done the trick. Connie Martin

"Connie Martin" wrote:

Word can do some fierce and wonderful things! I suppose there's a reason for
it all, but this one I can't figure out. I have text in a header, right
aligned, font size 8. I closed the header and typed text at the top of the
page, right aligned, and font size 14. The header font changed to 14 as
well. If I move the text to left-aligned, the header moves to left, as well.
What gives???

Connie Martin

Joseph McGuire

Here's a suggestion to try. Hope it helps.

Fonts or other formatting/attributes changing for no apparent reason to
match another part of a document is often a Styles issue. Of course, every
point in a Word document is subject to a style, even if it is a default
style like "Normal" or "Header." If somehow you are using the same style in
both places Word would assume you meant for the attributes like font size,
justification etc. to be the same; change one and the other location is
changed to match it. If the styles are not the same, check to see if they
are Based On each other or on some other style they have in common. I
usually leave the Automatically Update unchecked since I don't really know
what it means (leaving it unchecked should update the various attributes
wherever this style appears in your document anyway). Things get a bit
weird if you add the same attributes along with a style, such as Format,
Font or Format, Paragraph. Then you get these parts of Word to go to war
with each other.

"Connie Martin" wrote in message
Word can do some fierce and wonderful things! I suppose there's a reason

for
it all, but this one I can't figure out. I have text in a header, right
aligned, font size 8. I closed the header and typed text at the top of

the
page, right aligned, and font size 14. The header font changed to 14 as
well. If I move the text to left-aligned, the header moves to left, as

well.
What gives???

Connie Martin

The main problem was that *Normal* style was also set to update
automatically, and most other styles are based on Normal, so when you
formatted a Normal paragraph, it was updated, and Header, which is based on
it, was updated as well.

"Connie Martin" wrote:

Word can do some fierce and wonderful things! I suppose there's a

reason for
it all, but this one I can't figure out. I have text in a header, right
aligned, font size 8. I closed the header and typed text at the top of

the
page, right aligned, and font size 14. The header font changed to 14 as
well. If I move the text to left-aligned, the header moves to left, as

well.
What gives???

Connie Martin

How to protect text in header without disabling following header? Lady Tech Page Layout 1 January 22nd 05 01:57 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
Word 2000: need to expand the header to the left; left text margi. [email protected] Page Layout 1 December 14th 04 08:54 PM
merge data in a header or text box does not save JPCT Mailmerge 2 December 1st 04 04:45 PM
Text Box instead of a Header Ned Ludd Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 09:09 PM