Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandra Sandra is offline

Default TOC Page Numbers are Misaligned

Does anyone know what causes TOC page numbers to misalign? The page number
positions of the different heading levels (TOC1, TOC2, etc.) are all
different. It appears as though the varying heading levels have different tab
sets that are causing the page numbers to align differently. However, when we
looked at the tab sets and related (TOC1, TOC2) styles, we could not detect
any problem with the tabs.

We also tried adjusting the settings under Insert Reference Index and
Tables and the Right align page numbers checkbox was checked and everything
else looked fine. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If some of the TOC entries are very short, the problem may be with the
hanging indent (which generates an automatic tab stop). In general, however,
if the right-aligned tab stops at the right margin are set the same in each
of the TOC styles, look for any other tab stops that may have been set in
the style.

"Sandra" wrote in message
Does anyone know what causes TOC page numbers to misalign? The page number
positions of the different heading levels (TOC1, TOC2, etc.) are all
different. It appears as though the varying heading levels have different

tab
sets that are causing the page numbers to align differently. However, when

we
looked at the tab sets and related (TOC1, TOC2) styles, we could not

detect
any problem with the tabs.

We also tried adjusting the settings under Insert Reference Index and
Tables and the Right align page numbers checkbox was checked and

everything
else looked fine. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandra Sandra is offline

Thank you very much, Suzanne.

The heading was set as a third-level heading in the document, but that style
(TOC 3) was not listed on the Styles and Formatting task pane! Once I added
it in (by selecting Custom and checking it to make it visible), I set the tab
setting and it worked fine.

"Sandra" wrote in message
Does anyone know what causes TOC page numbers to misalign? The page number
positions of the different heading levels (TOC1, TOC2, etc.) are all
different. It appears as though the varying heading levels have different

tab
sets that are causing the page numbers to align differently. However, when

we
looked at the tab sets and related (TOC1, TOC2) styles, we could not

detect
any problem with the tabs.

We also tried adjusting the settings under Insert Reference Index and
Tables and the Right align page numbers checkbox was checked and

everything
else looked fine. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad you got it sorted, but I should think you would have been able to
see the difference in tab stops on the ruler if you have it displayed. If
you slide a tab on the ruler in one TOC 3 paragraph, the others should be
corrected, as TOC styles are by default set to update automatically.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If some of the TOC entries are very short, the problem may be with the
hanging indent (which generates an automatic tab stop). In general,

however,
if the right-aligned tab stops at the right margin are set the same in

each
of the TOC styles, look for any other tab stops that may have been set

in
the style.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.