Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephanie stephanie is offline

Default Different word counts in Properties and Tools

When I count a file using Word Count under the Tools menu, I get a much
higher count than when I count the same file by right clicking the filename
in the Open dialogue box and clicking Properties in the drop down menu. The
Properties number is usually (but not always!) lower. The problem is that I
don't know which number is more accurate.

This is a book ms. and if it is too long I will have to make drastic cuts.
The discrepancy over the 10 chapters is 10,000 words. Neither the editor nor
I wants to cut it, but if the Tools number is right we will have to. We will
much appreciate any help.