Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CBgoarmy CBgoarmy is offline

Default Need Help Fast! - Word 2003 question

Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could use Find and Replace to do this, but you'd end up with extra
spaces after abbreviations, etc. I don't suppose you can persuade the client
that two spaces aren't needed provided you're using a proportional font?

"CBgoarmy" wrote in message
Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be

done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an

international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out

there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B Kevin B is offline

I'm going to assume that the primary style in use for the document is Normal,
and if that's the case you can modify the Normal style and add x number of
points before and after each paragraph.

The instructions that follow are for Word 2003, if you're using an earlier
version you can still do this but the sequence of commands might be somewhat
different:

Click FORMAT in the Word menu and select STYLES AND FORMATTING. In the Task
Pane right click on the NORMAL style and select MODIFY. Check the
AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE check box and then click the FORMAT command button and
select PARAGRAPH. In the dialog box click INDENTS AND SPACING if necessary
and in the SPACING panel of the tab page set the before and after spacing for
the normal paragraph. When finished, click the OK command button twice to
return to the document

Repeat this process for any of the styles you might have used in the document.
--
Kevin Backmann

"CBgoarmy" wrote:

Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This suggestion is fine for adding Spacing Before/After a paragraph, but the
OP asked about adding "an additional space" (that is, the kind you enter
with the spacebar) after every *sentence.*

"CBgoarmy" wrote:

Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be

done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an

international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out

there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim in Ottawa Tim in Ottawa is offline

Try a search and replace of period space with period space space. Then search
for period space space space and replace with period space space to catch the
ones where you already had two spaces. I agree with Suzanne a proportional
font it looks better with one space after the period.

"CBgoarmy" wrote:

Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CBgoarmy CBgoarmy is offline

Jezebel: what can I say? Silly to you, but certainly not to me. Not quite
sure why your reply was sent since I understood this was a Forum for "people
to help people". Perhaps you're a Word guru?? Sorry, I'm good but never ran
into this before. Anyhow, I will wish you a good day as I did the others who
offered advice.

"CBgoarmy" wrote in message
Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be
done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an
international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out
there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

If you replace period-space-uppercaseletter with
period-space-space-uppercaseletter you wouldn't make too many extra spaces
after abbreviations and those you did should be flagged as grammar errors.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You could use Find and Replace to do this, but you'd end up with extra
spaces after abbreviations, etc. I don't suppose you can persuade the

client
that two spaces aren't needed provided you're using a proportional font?

so
all may benefit.

"CBgoarmy" wrote in message
Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be

done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an

international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out

there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CBgoarmy CBgoarmy is offline

Hi Tony, thank you, nice of you to post. I'm getting some good suggestions to
try. Enjoy the rest of your day!

"CBgoarmy" wrote in message
Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for a
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to be

done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an

international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out

there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It's silly because the outcome -- as Suzanne also pointed out -- will be a
less useful document. Double-spacing after periods was a convention
introduced for the fixed-pitch fonts used on typewriters. With a
proportional-spaced font it reduces readability and interferes with the
subsequent processing of the document.

If you simply ignore the request a) you will save yourself a lot of time,
and b) no-one will notice.

"CBgoarmy" wrote in message
Once a lengthly Word 2003 document has been completed (I'm editing for
client), is there a way or some command so I can add an additional
space
AFTER each sentence in the document at one time, or does this have to
be
done
manually? This is a professional Paper to be presented at an
international
business conference overseas in a week. Thanks for ANY help anyone out
there
can give me; I appreciate it!

C.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Although I'm in *total* agreement with Suzanne & Jezebel, there is another
option available...

I can't attest to its efficacy because I don't use it (actually, I use it
for just the *opposite* purpose), but you can go through
ToolsOptionsSpelling & Grammar, click the grammar section's Settings
button & set it to require 2 spaces between sentences as a grammatical
requirement. When you re-run the spell check & it catches the first
violation you _can_ click Change All (if there is one) but there is the
obvious risk involved. The more time-consuming - but more accurate - route
is to change one occurrence at a time while seeing it in context.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/26/06 9:17 AM, in article