Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
William5271 William5271 is offline

Default Mail Merge Problem

I am working on a mail merge from an Access query, and I am trying to
reformat one of the date feilds that is in the numerical format. I want the
date to be written out (January 17th, 1997) rather than the numerical
(1/17/1997). The original feild in the query is in the numerical. How do I
get word to re-format the feild to a written out format?

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?V2lsbGlhbTUyNzE=?=,

I am working on a mail merge from an Access query, and I am trying to
reformat one of the date feilds that is in the numerical format. I want the
date to be written out (January 17th, 1997) rather than the numerical
(1/17/1997). The original feild in the query is in the numerical. How do I
get word to re-format the feild to a written out format?

Well, the Word-centric way is to add a formatting switch to the field code.
For example:

{ Mergefield MyDateField \@ "MMMM d, yyyy" }

(Note that you can't get the "th" with a single field switch. You'd have to
break it down into multiple fields, one for each part of the date. Then you
should be able to use the \* Ordinal switch for the day of the month.)

The Access-centric approach, which is something to consider if you need this
information more than once, is to create a query. Specify the number format as
part of the query.

In an empty column of the query design grid, something like this:

MergeDate: Format(MyDateField, "MMMM d, yyyy")

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Denise M Denise M is offline

Will this also work if your data is coming from an excel file?
Thanks,
Denise

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?V2lsbGlhbTUyNzE=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The field switch will work - see

Denise M wrote:
Will this also work if your data is coming from an excel file?
Thanks,
Denise

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?V2lsbGlhbTUyNzE=?=,

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Mail merge problem Redwine Mailmerge 4 February 1st 07 06:50 AM
mail merge problem lenny Microsoft Word Help 2 December 8th 05 12:41 PM
Insert Merge Field problem with Word-Mail Merge from Excel documen Augusta E. Microsoft Word Help 2 June 20th 05 10:59 AM
Mail Merge problem Simon Microsoft Word Help 0 April 5th 05 01:05 PM
mail merge problem Govind Mailmerge 0 March 7th 05 05:33 AM