Catherine Brown

Default Unable to type or open documents in Microsoft Word 2003

Hi-

I am unable to type or open documents in Microsoft Word 2003.
I can use all other office applications.
I can navigate menus, but the moment I try to type, paste, or if I try
to open a document it says that it encountered a problem and must
close.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP1, and have licenses for both XP and
Office Pro.

I can open plain text documents (saved from notepad).

Any recommendations?

Catherine Brown

Thanks very much.

I looked into the folder where that document says the templates are
located... and the folder is empty. I did open Word without the /a tag
because I can navigate menus. It seems that if I try to type any new
document or open a pre-existing document that is not a plain text
document I have issues. Is that because it can't find the templates?

Should I reinstall office?

Catherine Brown wrote:

Hi-

I am unable to type or open documents in Microsoft Word 2003.
I can use all other office applications.
I can navigate menus, but the moment I try to type, paste, or if I try
to open a document it says that it encountered a problem and must
close.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP1, and have licenses for both XP and
Office Pro.

I can open plain text documents (saved from notepad).

Any recommendations?

garfield-n-odie

Reinstalling Office probably won't help. Did you enable display of
hidden files as suggested in the article? When you start Word with the
/a switch, can you open an existing document or create a new document?
If not, select a different default printer in Windows (click on Start |
Control Panel | Printers | right-click on a different printer |
left-click on "Set as Default" | OK), and try opening an existing
document or creating a new document again... are you able to?

Catherine Brown wrote:

Hi-

I am unable to type or open documents in Microsoft Word 2003.
I can use all other office applications.
I can navigate menus, but the moment I try to type, paste, or if I try
to open a document it says that it encountered a problem and must
close.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP1, and have licenses for both XP and
Office Pro.

I can open plain text documents (saved from notepad).

Any recommendations?

Catherine Brown

Well, it's fixed. It was one of two issues: either the printer (which
was set to a random network printer that doesn't stay deleted) or the
fact that I had a few bad sectors on the hard disk, which my computer
repaired.
Anyway, it's fixed. Thank you for your help.

Catherine Brown wrote:

Hi-

I am unable to type or open documents in Microsoft Word 2003.
I can use all other office applications.
I can navigate menus, but the moment I try to type, paste, or if I try
to open a document it says that it encountered a problem and must
close.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP1, and have licenses for both XP and
Office Pro.

I can open plain text documents (saved from notepad).

Any recommendations?

jmabrams75 jmabrams75 is offline
Junior Member

Help! I am having this same problem and I can not fix it!!! I tried to click on the link to read your tips - but the link appears to be broken.

Can you please either post the solution or post a new link. I can not work and it is driving me crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield-n-odie View Post
good to hear :-)